Fly Tying
flygirl

What Camera/lenses do you own

I've been checking out all the great pics on this thead & usually when I see some great pics in fishing mags I get annoyed when they either don't mention where the shot was taken or with what camera they used. So I'd like to put the name with the Cameras. I myself just purchased a Nikon D-3000 & a 70-300 mm Sigma lense. I also use a Pentax Optio W-30 when I'm on the river since its waterproof.

Nikon D700

A few of the lens's I own & use for fly fishing photography:

Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens

Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Micro (Macro)

Nikon 300mm f/2.8 G-AFS ED-IF VR Lens

Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight i-TTL

Nikon TC-17E II 1.7x Teleconverter

The above is the main stuff. Hope that helps.

www.JayMorr.com

Wife just got me a Canon EOS Rebel XSI...so far I am irritated with it as far as macro pics...I actually had better pics with her Canon point and shoot. Now as far as landscapes and portraits, no comparison, great camera. I guess I just have to wait till my next anniversary and get a good macro and a good telephoto lens

Wife just got me a Canon EOS Rebel XSI...so far I am irritated with it as far as macro pics...I actually had better pics with her Canon point and shoot. Now as far as landscapes and portraits, no comparison, great camera. I guess I just have to wait till my next anniversary and get a good macro and a good telephoto lens

You are correct ;) the point and shoot will be better until you buy a Macro lens. Shooting on a DSLR without a macro lens and cropping in just won't cut it. Pick up a macro and it will be far superior than your point and shoot.

4161643034_012ef9671e_o.jpg

4164970209_fd3e8c390a_o.jpg

www.JayMorr.com

Yeah what Jay said. When you can scrape up the funds, the Canon 100mm macro is a great lens, especially for the price. It'll also double as a nice medium telephoto on your Rebel. Very sharp lens; I paid around $500 for mine a couple of years ago. You may be able to get a deal on a used one if you look around, but beware of eBay. I've seen used ones go for more money than B&H gets for a new one.

Oh yeah, the original question:

Canon 5D

24/105mm f/4L zoom. My workhorse - I rarely use anything else. (I'm a staunch minimalist when it comes to gear) Not a true macro, but you can get really close with it and it's a great street shooting lens. IQ is superb.

100mm f/2.4 macro. I use it when I don't want to deal with the linear distortion that zooms produce. Mostly for shooting my wife's paintings.

70/200mm f2.8L IS. One of the finest zooms ever made, maybe the best. Trouble is, I've used it maybe four times in a year and a half. It's for sale if anybody's interested. Mint condition. Way too much money to have sitting around on the shelf.

Canon XT(350D)

EF-S 18-55mm Kit

EF 70-300mm IS USM

EF 400mm f/5.6L

EF 50mmf/1.8 II

EF 1.4X II Extender

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod

Manfrotto 393 Gimbal Tripod head

430 EX Speed Lite

Better Beamer

Hi Group,

A bunch of film cameras including an old Nikon F, a Speed Graphic 4x5, Rolli TLR and lenses to support them. More recent digital cameras are Fugi S9000, S2, S3, S5, Nikon 995, 8700, D200, D300 and too many lenses to list. We use an Optio W10 on the water to avoid environmental damage (Al falls in the water a lot and that has proven to be tough on cameras that aren't water resistant <G>). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

You are correct ;) the point and shoot will be better until you buy a Macro lens. Shooting on a DSLR without a macro lens and cropping in just won't cut it. Pick up a macro and it will be far superior than your point and shoot.

www.JayMorr.com

Thanks for the info Jay, I think I will try Peterjay's suggestion and get a 100mm for it, then later I'll get some stronger telephoto lenses and other goodies...

Over the last few years I've shot on a Nikon D70, D200, and Canon SD700. These days just about anything takes great pictures when used within the limitations of the gear.

At the moment:

Nikon D300

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

Nikon 400mm f/2.8 VRII

Nikon 50mm f/1.4

Nikon 35mm f/2

Tokina 100mm Macro

Tokina 12-24mm Wide

I have done a huge amount of my fly fishing photography during the last year on the 35mm f/2. There is an updated DX version that sells for $199, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8, which I would get if buying today. Tack sharp, fast, and very light so as to shoot one-handed.

The Tokina 12-24mm is the other lens I use quite a bit for fishing subject matter. The macro goes on for insects and product photography, and the telephotos are used mostly for birds.

I use a Nikon D40 with the stock 18-55mm VR lens. JayMorr, I didn't think about a macro lens, but that would get a much better result. Here's a size 16 fly I did this afternoon, and obviously some better lighting and a profile plate are easy ways to improve. I'll add a macro lens to the wish list.

4452064785_5e518493b6_b.jpg

I've been checking out all the great pics on this thead & usually when I see some great pics in fishing mags I get annoyed when they either don't mention where the shot was taken or with what camera they used. So I'd like to put the name with the Cameras. I myself just purchased a Nikon D-3000 & a 70-300 mm Sigma lense. I also use a Pentax Optio W-30 when I'm on the river since its waterproof.

Sorry for not responding sooner to your camera question/statement. I'm distracted at times with shooting, tying flies and life.

I currently shoot with the following:

Nikon D300

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm

Nikon 80-400mm

Nikon Speedlight SB800

Tamron 180mm Macro f 3.5

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Nikon 35mm f1.8

Thats all the big stuff

If I don't say where I shoot the shot remind me. Mostly I just forget to list it and sometimes it's "no telem creek"

Hope that helps

Lynn