Fly Tying
Robert M

Container for shipping flies

Hey guys whats the best mail container you use for shipping flies?

I've used all the different tins, cheap fly boxes, pill containers and VCR tape cases.

Anyone have any others that are light flat and work well without costing a fortune?

theres all kinds of containers to mail out swap flies

i just try to use some common sense when choosing the container.

you cant stuff 12 deer hair bass flies in an altoid tin nor would you want to us a vhs tape box for 12 size 20 midges

i also use some small plastic boxes i get from michaels craft store in the bead dept for about $1.29 and recently i bought a gift card tin at cabelas for $2. slightly bigger than the altoid tin

remember there is no "perfect" box for mailing swap flies :thumbsdown:

Hey guys whats the best mail container you use for shipping flies?

I've used all the different tins, cheap fly boxes, pill containers and VCR tape cases.

Anyone have any others that are light flat and work well without costing a fortune?

Not flat but heres how I roll

Go to office max, they have these things called really usefull little boxes (literally thats the name).

Think secure hard plastic, the size of an altoid tin, except about 3x as tall. For 99 cents. I bought 5 and if I have all 5 out I know I shouldnt be joining another swap until I get one back haha.

So I stuff that into a 4x9 padded envelope and then roll another 4x9 envelope up that is preaddressed pre stamped and tape it rolled (like a poster) then put that into the 4x9 envelope too. The postage is roughly $1.90 first class mail anywhere in the US and takes 3-4 days to get there. I put 2.50 postage on that and the return just to be extra careful. One of the perks is that due to the size it can be thrown into any outgoing mail and no post office trip is needed.

medicine bottles work great for small fly swaps.

The USPS will provide flat rate boxes for free.

The right size for flies is 5-3/8” x 8-5/8” x 1-5/8”

A little bubble foam inside is all you need.

The flat rate for this box anywhere in the continental US is $4.95

The USPS will provide flat rate boxes for free.

The right size for flies is 5-3/8” x 8-5/8” x 1-5/8”

A little bubble foam inside is all you need.

The flat rate for this box anywhere in the continental US is $4.95

The thing about flat rate boxes is that

1. they cost about 2x as much as needed

2. you have to go to the post office

those are 2 things i try to avoid. love to be able to put my flies right into my outgoing mail or a blue bin. In california if its over a certain size of 16 ozs you are forced to take to post office

A lot of time I just put the flies in a small bubble wrap envelope then place that in a regular birthday card size envelope a couple of stamps and your shipping. I've never had any problems with squished or damaged flies.

A lot of time I just put the flies in a small bubble wrap envelope then place that in a regular birthday card size envelope a couple of stamps and your shipping. I've never had any problems with squished or damaged flies.

For my first swap I am mailing in a spare hard plastic eye glasses case. You can get them from Walmart eye centers for $2 bux or so and they can hold just about anything and fit nicely in a padded envelope.

Went to the dollar store and picked up a pocket sized first aid kit... plastic latched box about 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"... lightweight and thin for easy mailing.

Do they fit in the slot??????????????????? :wallbash: :ripped: :ripped:

If I ship like that from Canada would cost 10.00+dollars

Jeremy

Yeah, Canada post charges parcel rate for anything over 20mm (3/4"). This includes the envelope. A standard Altoids tim is just over the size restriction, so we Canucks are always looking for a way to ship without incurring mortgageable costs.

My local fly shop started stocking hockey card cases, they're just about a half inch thick and work great for just about anything other than a whack of puffy deer hair bugs.

That 3/4" rule is out of control, like honestly, what glue sniffin fool came up with that, and whats the justification??? 3/4" its under 5 bucks, 7/8" its over 15 :bs:

Sounds like Canada has some organized crime running their PO... I'll remember the restrictions when/if I ship there. The box I used registered for 70 cents in shipping costs... but it probably wouldn't fit the "slot"... ;)

Well now I feel like a jackass. I just shipped a box north for the bugger swap that's over an inch thick WITHOUT the envelope and apparently did not include enough return postage.

That 3/4" rule is out of control, like honestly, what glue sniffin fool came up with that, and whats the justification??? :bs:

The problem is the sorting machines Canada Post uses won't handle anything thicker than 20mm. Over 20mm and it must be hand sorted. So it's more "what glue sniffin fool" ordered such idiotic machines??

OK, now I am confused. The swapmeister told me Altoids tins were OK to ship to Manitoba, and to include $3 or $4 U.S. for return postage, but to not use stamps. Now it appears they are not OK because of a slot. So what's the straight skinny, and what alternate container would you use to ship to Canada? Thanks, and go Pens!