Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The JVise. I love this thing. Made in South Africa. Very reasonable price for great quality and true rotary when you want it.

Leigh

ROTARY refers to the ability of the vise to rotate the fly along the hook shank axis, while keeping the hook shank axis fixed. Usually that is level, or parallel to the tying surface. Not real easy to explain, but you know it when you see it. Most vises that have a sort of "V" shape to them and a handle on the opposite end from the jaws are "rotary".

NO you don't need a rotary to tie perfectly good flies. YES a rotary makes many aspect of tying more efficient, and also enables a tier to examine any part of the fly while being tied, without mirrors or yoga classes.

IF one finds oneself with a dominant arm nearly useless from injury, a rotary makes it MUCH easier to keep tying even though the flies might look like they did thirty years ago...

There IS a difference between "rotary" and "true" rotary.

Some vises will turn the hook 360 degrees, but the hook shank will "wobble" -not stay in a steady horizontal plane. To be true rotary, the vise must allow the tier to make gape size adjustments to the vise in order that the hook shank, while rotating, stays in the same horizontal plane.

I use the Regal Rotary. I love it, it may not be a "true" rotary like the Renzetties and the Dyna-Kings, but it works great for my needs.

The JVise. I love this thing. Made in South Africa. Very reasonable price for great quality and true rotary when you want it.

Leigh

I have vise #80 from Jay! Perfect vise!

everything I tie is for catching trout, more or less 12-26 size hooks, and I rarely spin my vise when I am tying but if I every need to, I am glad that I can. There are just those random times when it is needed, for me anyways....

I have A renzetti Presentation that just sits on the shelf and a Griffin Patriot that I use nearly all the time. I just find that I'm faster with the Patriot the way I have it set up.

I use a Renzetti Traveller. I have been looking at the Dyna Kings lately. I think I need two vises. Yes, two vises would be good.

Good answer Tony ........ I agree with you, "Yes, two vises would be good"

I recently got the Montana Mongoose ------ love it! Have the Orvis fly tying kit vise as well ... maybe a third vise would be nice, mmmm, Bob

I use an old Renzetti given to me by a dear friend I learned on a Regal bought the vise 15 years ago has a chip in the jaw so I only use it for streamers and Bass bugs.

I use the Renzetti Master Vice and the Nor-vice. :unsure: :unsure: Both depending on the type of flies I wants to tie.. :rolleyes:

HMH Standard all the way for me, I have the micro>midge(discontinued now, unfortunately)>trout(the original omni)>super-mag(non-serrated) jaws which can be switched out in a minute to tie any hook size. I can tie horizontal and rotate the vice if I'm using a dubbing loop or brush or I can steepen the angle and throw the micro jaw in and tie a size 24 and still have the ability to turn the fly to check all sides of it. Simplicity personified, form following function, it holds a hook like a bulldog and then gets out of the way so you can tie. Great company, great support. My first quality vice was a Regal which I still have, a wonderful vice which served me well but the HMH retired it over 15 years ago.