Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Sep 23 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (lykos33 @ May 24 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Danvice, I like the rotary and most other features, I just can't seem to keep from boogering up my jaws...no matter how much I think about not getting too tight on the hook, I still cant stop....if someone would come up with a stouter jaw for the Danvice, I would be in heaven!

take the jaws and heat them up red hot then dump them in oil do this 2 or 3 times no problems after that

honestly?

Well, that will harden the steel, but if you don't heat it after and slowly let it cool, they will be brittle....gotta temper that steel after hardening it...

After reading the whole thread, I'm getting some ideas .....

Just a questions, could those of you that use roteray vices comment:

Do you use the roterary options to inspects the fly, or to wrap material?

Thanks;

Dave

Whew....152 posts as of this am. Two of interest to me are Cliff S #134 and petegray #147.. I own 3 vises. latest is a Griffin Blackfoot and that leads me to the advice another post gave; go to a shop and try several, or join a club soon. As for the Griffin, it's ok but after using it I now realise it's limitations. Quick observation,,, I noticed the vise Nick Granato used to tie the sculpin in a vid posted on "Hatches Mag. articles"... a Griffin Mongoose w/ levered jaw. I called Griffin last wk. and they have a vice jaw upgrade which is applicable to my vice..."they said"... yah I'm a little gun shy. So a point I want to make is, if you don't care for the screw concept to tighten the jaw.....so to save a few $ the upgrade is another $50. If any of you can confirm this application.. please let me know and thanks in advance.

Whew....152 posts as of this am. Two of interest to me are Cliff S #134 and petegray #147.. I own 3 vises. latest is a Griffin Blackfoot and that leads me to the advice another post gave; go to a shop and try several, or join a club soon. As for the Griffin, it's ok but after using it I now realise it's limitations. Quick observation,,, I noticed the vise Nick Granato used to tie the sculpin in a vid posted on "Hatches Mag. articles"... a Griffin Mongoose w/ levered jaw. I called Griffin last wk. and they have a vice jaw upgrade which is applicable to my vice..."they said"... yah I'm a little gun shy. So a point I want to make is, if you don't care for the screw concept to tighten the jaw.....so to save a few $ the upgrade is another $50. If any of you can confirm this application.. please let me know and thanks in advance.

The cam jaw is one difference between the Blackfoot Mongoose and the Montana Mongoose. Other than color, the arm appears to be the same design on each model. Besides, if Griffin says the cam jaw is a drop-in retrofit for upgrading the Blackfoot, I think that's sound confirmation right there. Griffin customer service is courteous, knowledgeable, responsive and "no questions asked" in my experience.

Hey Bugsy,,,buenos dias,,,buenos noches whatever time of day you get this,,,Yah I'm in that line of thought also...I've been on the phone with them several times ,, always left feeling right. I will go that route,,thanks.

Started with a danvise 5 years ago. I hav'nt felt a need to change. I recently got new jaws and a jaw extension for it.

The first vise I ever owned was a Universal 2 Rotary Vise purchased in 1969 for a whopping $11.95! My teacher retired 1985 and gave me his vise a Universal Rotary Vise (original) from the 1950's. In 1997 I bought a Renzetti Master Vise. I bought the Master vise to handle larger hooks for pike and salmon flies. I even bought the Clouser Minnow Arm for the Master but it's rotation is not centered as with the Universals. For my earlier tying the Universals were better than any other vise for me as the 100% balanced hook rotation (the spindle) I could roll on a body or ribbing faster and better than without! It's funny I saw this now as I took out the vise for the first time in 15 years to whip up some perch streamers.

Michaeld

post-35174-0-24718500-1371332229_thumb.jpg

post-35174-0-87748700-1371332263_thumb.jpg

post-35174-0-72059500-1371332297_thumb.jpg

Have used Renzetti traveler for several years now. Have considered the Nor-Vise but price is a bit of a hurdle. Any Nor-Vise users out there that could comment on pros- and cons- and if the price is definitely worth it would be appreciated.

Have used Renzetti traveler for several years now. Have considered the Nor-Vise but price is a bit of a hurdle. Any Nor-Vise users out there that could comment on pros- and cons- and if the price is definitely worth it would be appreciated.

A search will bring up numerous discussions on the Nor-vise here at FTF and all across the internet. Most seem to discuss the same pros and cons, but a new point is sometimes made. Additionally, watching the videos done by Norm Norlander and various youtube Nor-visers will show how some tyers employ the vise's capabilities.

The best bet is to get behind a Nor-vise to test it for yourself, whether at a dealer, FF show, or club. "Try before you buy" is the mantra applied to the Nor-vise more often than any other vise. But that's not an option for everyone. I purchased mine through Norm, having never touched one. There are far bigger risks in life.

When you read the posts, you may notice that the negative comments often come from those who have never owned a Nor-vise...or even tied on one.

I could detail the advantages I've experienced with the Nor-vise and contest most of the disadvantages I've seen stated, but I'll reserve the effort for a thread specific to the Nor-vise system.

After reading the whole thread, I'm getting some ideas .....

Just a questions, could those of you that use roteray vices comment:

Do you use the roterary options to inspects the fly, or to wrap material?

Thanks;

Dave

Funny you ask that. I have watched videos of people with rotary vises hand wrap materials on the fly hook. Seems silly to me. I use the rotary function of the vise to wrap materials onto the hook with the aid of my bobbin hanger. For example, I can do a wooly bugger in a fraction of time using the vise to wrap the chenille, hackle and wire rib onto the hook. I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it.

Was previously using a Danvise, but after trying the Wolffe Ind Atlas series will just use the Danvise as a travel one, or as a loner for someone who wants to try out tying.

30 year old Renzetti Presentation 4000. Never had a need nor a desire to look for anything different. About 10 years ago I did upgrade to the cam lock jaws though.