Fly Tying
midnightmoonlight

Caught a stonefly nymph

Well I got skunked yesterday. The rivers and brooks havent gotten stocked yet but I want to get out there. While I was fishing a size 20 midge I thought I caught a leaf or stick. When I went to clean the it off of the hook I found a large stonefly nymph stuck right on the hook. Black with a green belly. I tied on something similar to it and still got nothing. Good thing is at least my midge I was fishing was at the right depth and I brought it home to make some flies to match it.

Anyone else catch bug before? I cant be the first

my wife was fishing a dragon fly I hadtied for some bass in one of our favorite lakes well to make a long story short she casted it out was letting it sit on the surface and a real one came down and tried mating it well when she lifted the line it got tangled in the tippit so the last thing that dragonfly mated was a foam fly

Are you sure it was a stone fly nymph? The colors make me think it was a Green Caddis Larva. Here are a couple photos of the bug I am thinking of. These little guys have a bright green belly and black back.

Green Caddis Larva (Rhyacophilidae)

also known as: Green Sedge, Rock Worm

post-4573-1271017791_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1271017802_thumb.jpg

I've often hauled out BIG hellgrammites that attacked small craw patterns and baitfish patterns when bouncing the boulders in runs of a few of my smallie streams. They'll eat anything , I tell ya!

I guess it may have been the cadis larva. Its about an inch and a half long black on the top and a greenish black belly. Some one said it probably tried to eat the small midge I was fishing with.

Stonefly and cadis are very similar from what I can tell from the photo

Stick Bass, Tree Trout, Rockfish...I catch 'em all the time. Generally none worth keeping.