Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatzFatz

Rabbit / Squirrel Pelts

I've used Coffins Creek on several occasions, there in my neck of the woods, and great quality skins and dub materials.

One nice thing is , if you order by mail, you don't have to pay until you receive the materials and are satisfied. They just started using PayPal recently.

Mike

Great guys to deal with. I order a huge box of stuff from them every fall! I've ordered from those guys for 12 yrs or more now. Can't beat thier prices, but sometimes the quality is lacking, but they know when it is and make up for it with a free "estras". Great guys.

Does anyone buy full pelts and make zonker and cross cut strips?

Anybody buy full pets for tying?

Any strange furs such as coyote, possum, beaver, etc...

Not sure I would call any of that strange...I call it "readily available". Use Ground hog, beaver, possum, coyote, bobcat, mink, artin, skunk, fox, and on occassion, bat. My cat downed a bat a couple of years ago and it made great dubbing for little nymphs. I have also used pig hair , horse mane, goat's mask, german shepard tail, muskrat, hamster. Most of it isn't purchased, rather than harvested during trapping and hunting seasons.

occassionally I purchase full rabbit pelts($5 and under) from a little place just down the interstate. Easily cut with a clip board and a razor. Most are from farm raised meat rabbits with greatly varying pelt colors and textures.

I got full rabbit skins at Hobby Lobby of all places for $2 a piece. Used straight edge and ruler to cut worked fine.

i can say that those pelts are wonderful. my uncle has been using hobby lobby rabbit pelts for years now. he dyes them and makes zonker strips and dubbbing. he hasnot used store bought dubbing execept the ice dub for about as long.

Well...looks like i'll be buying full sins for zonker strips. Going to try some other type furs and hair for fun, our golden retriever already gets nervous when I have scissors in hand.

Just take to the dog with a good shedding brush, he'll thank you and you'll have a big ole' bag of dubbing.

Steve

Does anyone buy full pelts and make zonker and cross cut strips?

Anybody buy full pets for tying?

Any strange furs such as coyote, possum, beaver, etc...

Not sure I would call any of that strange...I call it "readily available". Use Ground hog, beaver, possum, coyote, bobcat, mink, artin, skunk, fox, and on occassion, bat. My cat downed a bat a couple of years ago and it made great dubbing for little nymphs. I have also used pig hair , horse mane, goat's mask, german shepard tail, muskrat, hamster. Most of it isn't purchased, rather than harvested during trapping and hunting seasons.

occassionally I purchase full rabbit pelts($5 and under) from a little place just down the interstate. Easily cut with a clip board and a razor. Most are from farm raised meat rabbits with greatly varying pelt colors and textures.

What's the hamster bag limit in Kentucky?