Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
juice01

Frog Fly

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has a recepie for a frog pattern to catch bass. Ive looked around and cant seem to find anything I like. The bass I am chasin are the Australian Bass.

Cheers for any help

Mick

Mick, I've read that Aussie bass get real big. I suggest you catch a chicken, dye it dark green, and lash it to a very large hook! Don't bother skinning it! :hyst:

Seriously, have you checked the pattern data base, there are some great looking frog patterns in there! :D

are you looking for a top water fly or a subsurface fly?

if your looking for a top water here is one of my favorites

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=413646

also there is this one

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5904.html

if your looking subsurface let me know

Here is an easy pre formed foam head frog fly that I use to great success in some local ponds and lakes for LM bass. post-18764-1272140178_thumb.jpg

Bucktail, krystal flash and streamer feather tail. streamer hackle collar, rubber legs pulled through heated bodkin made hole with dental floss threader marker spots and stick on eyes. I use a stinger hooker for sure hook ups.

Thanks guys. They are good looking flies. I am looking for something that will swim just under the surface. I only want it to be a small frog as where I fish the frogs are only about 1inch long. Yea our bass do grow quite big over here. My son caught his first bass two weeks ago ( not on fly ) and it was 41cm to the fork. Great fighters!!!

post-14065-1272140554_thumb.jpg

Check out the Gartside Wet mouse for an interesting and small subsurface pattern. I got one in a recent gartside swap and havent had the opportunity to fish it yet but it looks reallllllll interesting.

That sure is an interesting bass. Certainly different than both our small mouth and large mouth we have here in the states. Looks like a hybrid of a small mouth and maybe a striper??????? do you have any info on the species?

Bob

Thanks guys. They are good looking flies. I am looking for something that will swim just under the surface. I only want it to be a small frog as where I fish the frogs are only about 1inch long. Yea our bass do grow quite big over here. My son caught his first bass two weeks ago ( not on fly ) and it was 41cm to the fork. Great fighters!!!

This pattern has proven effective for me, the Swimmin' Frog. If you wish to fish the top 6 inches of the water column fish it on a floating line with a heavy fluorocarbon leader [i prefer furled]. This will act as a "mini" sink tip allowing you to pull the fly down more quickly. However if you wish the frog to swim/dive deeper, fish it on an intermediate sinking line. The pop on this fly, as a result of the angled head in combination with the FlyLipp is tremendous. And once pulled under water, short sharp strips will cause this fly to kick and swim beneath the surface, up to three feet down. Stop stripping and the Swimmin' Frog floats strait to the top again. I tie it weedless to work through and over heavy cover.

post-25743-1272156451_thumb.jpg

Is that a smallmouth?! The mouth looks too small for a LMB. If that's a smallie, yeeehaw!!

It is actually an Australian Bass. Not a bad size for around here. They do grow to around 60cm+.

It is actually an Australian Bass. Not a bad size for around here. They do grow to around 60cm+.

G,day mate Retrocarp here...... I tie a frog fly i think you may like. It's simply called 'The Frog' and it's Aussie grown.