Fly Tying
TheBigLost

Would you fish this Philipson bamboo rod?

I inherited this C8 5wt 8 1/2 inch HDH rod from one of my fathers best friends upon his death.

I have only looked at it for 4 years and I really want to fish it. I have studied about the Philipson Pacemakers online but can't find much out about this rod with the multi color wraps. It also seems to be in the most incredible shape ever. Looks brand new. Anyhow, would you fish it or sell it or look at it?

I'm tired of looking at it (and wanting to fish it)

What the heck is it worth?

post-13054-1273775873_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775897_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775928_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775946_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775960_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775967_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775980_thumb.jpg

post-13054-1273775987_thumb.jpg

Fish it I'm sure if your tired of looking at it your not really attatched to it emotionally so if you broke it on a huge fish or dinged it with a fly you wouldn't lose your mind over it so go fish it and enjoy it along with the memories of the person you inherited it from by the way nice looking boo rod

Put on a reel, string the line and go wave it around. As Paul said, do the man an honor and go catch some fish. It's gorgeous by the way!

Had to say I was expecting just the opposite of the answers I received here, but that's good!!

This is actually what I wanted to hear ;)

First, I'd see how much it's worth. If it turns out to be valuable, you might want to reconsider fishing with it. Go to the RodBuildingForum at the top of the page and make the inquiry there.

Homel gives the PHILLIPSON 8.5 model Pacemaker with an extra tip, 3 sections a value of $75, 175 and $315 for poor, good, excellent condition respectively

Excellent means like brand new. The finish and threads are not worn or sluffing. No sets - sections aren't bent.

If this matches your rod, then this should be fairly accurate. Sounds like it's not super valuable. I'd fish it some. You shouldn't have to worry too much about it breaking. Bamboo is tough. It is also possible that a hobby rod builder built the rod but used a taper clone of the Philipson Pacemaker and labeled it as such. Either way I'd take it out at least every now and then to have a little fun.