Fly Tying
DevinKaradeema

hopper/dropper Dry/nymph

been headin to the rivers more frequently, and now i have a sticky situation... how do you rig a dry or teres over a nymph? never seen it done and wanted to know how before i mess something up :) if its the same as a dual hooked crappie rig i got it but if there is something else to it i'd like to know. Thanks!!

Tie the floater on your tippet as you normally would. I usually go one size smaller for the dropper. If I've got a 4x tippet on, use a 5x for the dropper etc.

Take a piece of tippet - length is up to you, but it's easier to make it shorter than it is to make it longer. I tie an improved clinch knot around the bend of the floating fly's hook and then tie the dropper there. Depending on water depth, I'll start at 3', then 2', then 18", then 12"...if none of that works, switch the dropper, switch the dry, switch both, or move on up the river a ways.

Be prepared to deal with some UGLY knots if it's windy and you cast anything like I do.

there's probably a dozen different ways to rig up a tandem/dropper set up. I know of a few, but I'm just gonna list one because I think it's superior to the others anyway. :whistle:

Tie your top fly(That can be a dry fly, a heavy nymph, etc.) on to the end of your tippet like normal. Cut off a piece of tippet however long you wish(I go for 2ft most of the time) and tie this in between the tail and barb area of your fly. I use a clinch knot for that. Then you can tie your second fly to the tag end of the tippet.

In Depth Description

well i will give both a shot! that was a lot different then what i ASSumed

After that it is just a standard dead drift.

Be ready for the strike! subsurface strikes are already in progress and it is like indicator fishing, hit it fast or the fish is gone.

been headin to the rivers more frequently, and now i have a sticky situation... how do you rig a dry or teres over a nymph? never seen it done and wanted to know how before i mess something up :) if its the same as a dual hooked crappie rig i got it but if there is something else to it i'd like to know. Thanks!!

I don't know that John Barr created the technique but he's done a lot to refine it. If you look in his book Barr flies which should be in your local library or in its borrow inventory you will get a great description and some great flies to use with it.

Hi Devin,

Another way to assemble a "hopper-dropper" combination is to place the larger fly (indicator dry fly) on the end of the tippet, cinch the knot down tight and trim the waste end. Use another section of tippet (length of choice) and clinch knot (or Uni Knot) it to the tippet in front of the indicator fly. Cinch the knot down tight, trim the waste and slide it tight against the knot of the indicator fly. Then place the dropper fly on the end of the second section of tippet to complete the combination.

So, what does this method do over the to-the-hook-bend method? We find it easier to slide the dropper up and away from the indicator fly if we want to replace the indicator pattern without having to take the complete combination apart. It fishes about the same as the other method but we think it is easier to change the indicator fly should you wish. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

like people say there are multiple ways to do it. You can attach it strait to the bend of the hopper/dry but if you de-barb you hooks like you are suppost to the dropper can come strait off the dry. no biggie. use a knot such as a blood knot or similar knot where the tag ends come out on the side. this is crutal to get the correct action. tie the blood knot with plenty of extra tag on one side. when you finish the knot tie your dry to the tag. the closer the dry is to the blood knot the more in contact you will be with your nymph.