Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaddisCowboy

HELP!!!!

Alright, I've got myself an assignment and frankly I'm not sure where to begin so I'd love some suggestions. My boss at the fly shop (after he continually heard me brag about my tying ;)) brought me 8 streamers that he'd like me to alter for him. All 8 streamers are the Sculpzilla pattern from Solitude Fly Company. He indicated that he was missing hook-ups and would like the articulated hook to be drawn closer to the body of the fly. My question is, how can I do that without disassembling the fly entirely? There's a short bit of exposed shank (an eye's length) on the lead hook where I might be able to shorten things up and thread wrap over the top, but I'm not sure what kind of pressure that limited space will withstand.

I'm definately puzzled...... but I would love to get it right and score a few brownie points with the new boss. Ideas?!?!?!? :help:

~Evan

A tough question, although I seriously doubt the hook position is causing missed fish (have boss read up on Kelly Galloup's streamer tactics for ideas). Seems to me one thing you could do, if there is slack in the line holding the trailing hook, you could take up whatever slack there is, and then whip the line to the hook, reinforcing the wraps with some superglue or head cement. I'd use a heavy thread, or even kevlar if you have any. If there is a lot of slack in the loop holding the trailing hook, you might also be able to replace the hook with something that has a shorter shank, such as a TMC2488H or TMC105 depending on the size. In other words, try to find a way to "choke up" on the trailing hook/line. Dissassembly will not be practical, I would guess.

Just a thought...

I think J Szymczyk got it. (what is you real name J Szymczyk?)

Evan what is your last name? I'd like to look on the website and see what you've tied.

I think so to. Trying to work around the wing and the tie in point will be tough. You would spend more time fixing then tying. Also the short strikes my be comming at the start of the strip and not the pause. I like to use jewlery wire for my articulation. It keeps the hook up. Maybe his is falling and all they are getting is the wing.

Kevin

A little wire or thread the attach the trailer to the back end of the wing wouldn't hurt. Also I agree with just tying him some new flies the way he wants them, in the same breath I truly doubt that the length of the trailer behind the main is the issue and would suggest the Kelly Galloup book as previously mentioned.

Steve

luckly for me my boss at my fly shop(and the other shop rats) are explaining to me all this finer streamer stuff (me being more of a nympher)

here is my guess. shorten the gape between the to hooks be shortening the material that is used to articulate them (wire, mono) then shorten the rabbit strip comming off the back.

but if hookups are the problem you might want to try and use a size bigger hook because the body looks very big for the size hook (i have never seen this fly in the water so it probally changes some)

Thanks everyone for the input. I found the solution! Apparently, the rabbit-strip wing is supposed to be tied securely to the trailing "stinger" hook as well as the lead hook. After hooking a few fish, the thread wraps had slipped or frayed and caused the wing to seperate. In turn, the hook hung underneath the fly (supposedly causing missed strikes.)

All I had to do was re-attach the wing to the trailing hook......simple fix. Below is a "before-and-after" photo to help you all understand the problem and the repair. Is this a common problem with articulated streamers tied like this?

~Evan

post-23124-1274747812_thumb.jpg

My real name is Generalissimo Giuseppe Ignatiev Spring Morrison De la Plata.

Si!

any kin to ingo mantoya?

camoham

Si!

any kin to ingo mantoya?

camoham

Mantoya es mi broother.