Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

attention steelheaders

John that is a nice site and I found a few patterns I really like!!! The streamer section has some decent flies as well

That's a great site. But, mostly a GL clinic. Some of the stuff he says is ONLY for the GL's. I can guarantee that if you were to use 10# only on the Hoh/SolDuc, those steelhead would eat you alive (and I've seen it done with 20# test). But, different river conditions here. But great info for what I've seen fishing in the GL's.

69 is right there’s a big difference in steelhead flies for the Great lakes compared with the west coast.

The small bead head, hex nymphs and wet flies that we fish on Great lakes tribe’s are not even considered steelhead flies.

Ever wonder why most books with classic steelhead patterns by authors like Trey Combs

Or Dick Stewart show these monster hair winged salmon flies with Menus that state there tied on size 2 to 2/0 hooks?

That’s the west coast type of flies that produce for them, and if you ever take a steelhead fishing trip out to Oregon or Washington State be prepared to use them.

And the same is true if a west coast fisherman visits Michigan for a little steelheading

He will find he has to quickly tie up some small Nymphs and Wets or go fishless.

(When in Rome do as the Romans)

OSD.