Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Mitch's Bobbin Whirler

has anyone used this bobbin and what do you think of it?

I was browsing through Ebay the other night and notice one of these in an auction. It normally goes for about $30 and was going to bid on it for about $20. Does it work as well as the videos show it working or is this just another gimmick out there ?

I noticed that Al Beatty had a review on it in the Hatches mag with some good feedback on it.

Thx's

MIke

I use mine quite a bit for dubbing loops. It's handy to have it all in one tool and always at the ready. One issue is the limited vertical space between the hook and the benchtop. It doesn't take a very long loop to run out of space. In that case I rotate the vise toward me so that the bobbin/whirler hangs off the edge of the bench, while spinning.

Thanks appreciate the feedback. I gonna dwell on this a bit more before shelling out the bucks :)

Mike

It's a great tool, it's amazing for any fly that needs a dubbing loop, or just plain dubbing because it traps dubbing in two strands of thread and then keeps them on the hook with a third strand. Also works with ostrich, peacock, and deer hair.

It's a great tool, it's amazing for any fly that needs a dubbing loop, or just plain dubbing because it traps dubbing in two strands of thread and then keeps them on the hook with a third strand. Also works with ostrich, peacock, and deer hair.

after watching the video's I can see how versatile and handy a tool it is. just gotta come up with the extra $$$ for it :)

Mike

I have one and love it. I use it quite frequently to reinforce herl body flies. Very simple to use and makes winding the bodies a breeze. It is almost like having an extra hand when working with the dubbing loop. You can let it hang so you can use both hands to manipulate the material you want in the dubbing loop, then grasp the bobbin and angle it so that the loop opens up to place the material exactly where you want it. The herl bodies are very strong, because they are reinforced with three strands of thread, instead of two in a standard dubbing loop. There is no need for tinsel rib, if you do not want it. It is also very easy to add other materials (krystal flash, tinsel, wire, etc.) to add an inner sparkle to the body. I used this bobbin on all of the steelhead flies I posted last fall.

It is an expensive bobbin, but very well designed and well made. Wasatch also offers a lifetime guarantee, which they fully support. For me, it was money well spent.

Thanks Ray, great endorsement. :) Actually is allot cheaper then that new MP bobbin that just came out recently.

I went through all the UTube vids earlier today on the Bobbin Whirler, it does just about everything you'd need for dubbing. I didn't realize it came with a DVD till I went back to the site so that's a big help. If all goes well hope to order one by the end of the month. Being self-employed gotta watch the budget :)

Thanks again to all the feedback.

Mike