Fly Tying
CreationBear

Coq de Leon hen fly sizes?

I was wondering if any of you who tie with Whiting hen CdL capes could give me a breakdown of hackle sizes...I've been wanting to tie up some biggish flymphs (#10-#12) and for some reason the CdL's "gamebird" speckling appeals to me more than basic "hen." Thanks! :)

i would think you would have to pick out the size of feather the same way as you would if you were using partridge or any other feather for flymphs or even soft hackles

The Whiting Coq de Leon hen neck has a good range of feathers from about #2 down to about #18. Note, however, the feathers are a bit shorter than those from a regular hen neck.

Thanks so much for the info...like most of y'all I've become a committed "materials fondler" when I can be, but since I'll have to buy my CdL online, it's good to know the hackle range in advance. :)

The Whiting Coq de Leon hen neck has a good range of feathers from about #2 down to about #18. Note, however, the feathers are a bit shorter than those from a regular hen neck.

CB,

I have been tying a fair few patterns with Whiting Coq de Leon hen necks over the past twelve of so months. I have found the material to be both excellent, and very versatile - and cannot recommend these necks highly enough for use in wets and emerger patterns.

These necks are also quite a 'steal' in value for money!

This link will point you to a whole raft of patterns I have used the feathers in:

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=35...eon+hen&t=s

Cheers,

Hans W

I'm glad people are answering this question. I had the same question and tried emailing Whiting. They haven't responded to a couple of my emails :wallbash:.