Fly Tying
JohnP

Support your local fly shop?

I agree, support the locals. I've looked online mainly for comparison and with shipping it can be pricier. other than buying a large amount, your local shop is the best. They have rent,wages,insurance and product to buy. I've been hunting to upgrade my tube to a pontoon as getting in and out of it is more complicated now and I want an outcast pontoon boat. interestingly, the prices in western canada and the u.s. are more expensive than here in ottawa. they are closer to idaho than I am. I was quite surprised the markup.

I will buy stuff from the craft shops, but the bulk of it is from the shop.

marc

Remember that there are different oval tinsels out there. The best is the French Lagartun and, yes, it is spendy. But it's worth it in my opinion. I have some old Danville in my stash, at least I think it's Danville, and it's not even close to the quality of the Lagartun. I just wish I would have bought a bunch of the Lagartun in bulk 10 years ago when I had the chance.

I do support my local fly shop and over the years I've spent a LOT of cash there. But the friends I've made and the personal information and instruction I've recieved from the various owners has been invaluable. Unfortunatly we've lost a lot of them in Western Washington over the last few years. They couldn't compete with the import stuff and paid the ultimate price for it. Yes, that's the world we live in today but try getting your on-line store to give you hands on instruction on how to tie that special killer fly or tell you where the hot local fishing spots are. Sorry, ain't gonna happen!Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more.

tell you where the hot local fishing spots are

I'm pretty sure that goes hand-in-hand with the "I've spent a LOT of cash there" thing...

most established "Fly Shops" seem to have guides affiliated with them and I have seen more than a little bit of disinformation being handed out, unless you happen to be one of the inner circle. Not saying they're all that way, but I've seen it and it sucks.

tell you where the hot local fishing spots are

I'm pretty sure that goes hand-in-hand with the "I've spent a LOT of cash there" thing...

most established "Fly Shops" seem to have guides affiliated with them and I have seen more than a little bit of disinformation being handed out, unless you happen to be one of the inner circle. Not saying they're all that way, but I've seen it and it sucks.

I guess I was just lucky! I went to The Morning Hatch in Tacoma, Washington and Gary Sandstrom was genuinly one of the nicest people I've ever known. I never felt like I was paying for his insight or information. He was there to serve his customers. Unfortunatly our sport can be very expensive and the internet and imported materials and equipment have had a very negative effect on the local small shops. A lot of the newer shops are doing it as a part time gig not being able to completley depend on it for their sole source of income. Like I said, it's a fact of life nowadays but it's still sad.

I support my local fly shop it's not a big store but they are friendly and they work hard. Even at time's when they don't have what i might need they do get it in :bait the fastes time available

I support my local fly shop it's not a big store but they are friendly and they work hard. Even at time's when they don't have what i might need they do get it in :bait the fastes time available

that's an interesting use of Emoticon... ? :ban: