Fly Tying
Runarsson

Freaky earplugs!!!

A lady came up to me at a show, looked at the yellow earplug fly in my display and told me that they had earplugs in all colors at her job. She promised to send me a few to look at. I thought she had meant 'only' in other colors than yellow, but when I opened the envelope that arrived a few days later... "WOW!!!!"

post-15497-1276947655_thumb.jpg

Not a popper tier myself, but I can imagine that you could use them for that purpose. I'm just a member of the 'just for fun'-club... and these have 'for fun' written all over them, so they sure won't be forgotten in my foam box. :P

post-15497-1276947693_thumb.jpgpost-15497-1276947722_thumb.jpg

Check out http://www.earplugs.de/Cont/Plugs/SparkPlugs.asp.

/Nick

Awesome tie and awesome colors! You can't just about anything these days in about any color!

How do they react to glue or varnish? Do they melt?

Haven't tried varnish, but super glue (Zap-A-Gap) didn't do more to it than secured it.

do you just tie them down or do you need to slide the hok thru it?

marc

To avoid having the hook shank splitting the "chin" when tied down, it goes through the face and comes out just about where the finishing wrap is located. From there and backwards it's just tied down over the hook.

But I must say, when tying it down the hook shank sinks deep into it... so it's not entirely to lie when I say that the shank still goes 'through' it. The plug simply "swallows" the hook shank when the thread is tightened and the glue also under the hook shank will help to secure it.