Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Ice Bunny Spey

Good Day,

I have been having a very creative year thus far. I don't generally tie "traditional" speys, but had some materials laying on the desk for other patterns when this popped into my head, the Ice Bunny Spey...

post-295-1278713528_thumb.jpg

Spey hook of your choice

Magnum rabbit strip

UV polar chenille

Ice dub

Cone

Steelie

Good Day,

Thanks Floyd! Ideally I designed these for our Fall runs in Michigan, but I think they might work "off run" so to speak as a streamer for browns.

Steelie

Great looking fly. Those will work for a lot of warmwater species too.

Now I got to get busy.

Nice ties... excellent color variety..will certainly catch some some fish (off run to boot)

Question tho....

How does "spey" have anything @ all to do with these ties?

As fly tyers we have only reference, canon & tradition to build from...

david

Nice ties... excellent color variety..will certainly catch some some fish (off run to boot)

Question tho....

How does "spey" have anything @ all to do with these ties?

As fly tyers we have only reference, canon & tradition to build from...

david

These are great looking flies, but certainly not Spey flies. I am a classic tyer so I'm always a little confused when someone refers to a fly as a Spey or a Dee when, technically it isn't. A traditional Spey is subdued in color, has no tail, is characterized by it's long flowing hackle and bronze Mallard wing. Even the PNW Spey varient follows this convention except for bright colors and hackle substitute for the Mallard.

i'd call em leeches/slumpbusters/etc before spey, but I've never been one to get too fussy over nomenclature. Great looking flies!

i'm tying up a few VERY similar looking streamers to take with me to Cape Fear next month! :)

Good Day,

Thanks guys!

A little clarification... I will admit these are not Speys in the traditional sense. I chose the term as that is what inspired the pattern. I like the shape and flow of Speys. Instead of say golden pheasant for a tail, I chose a bunny strip. Instead of Spey hackle, UV Polar chenille and instead of a feather wing, Ice Dub. :D

Steelie

I see. :)

Now that it's been explained, I can understand where you got the name. While it is a far cry from the classics, it uses many of the same principles as the originals (and the pacific versions). While 'spey' still isn't the first term that comes to mind for me, it isn't my fly, so you're perfectly entitled to call it what you like.

...I'd steer clear of calling it a catskill though... ;)