Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deesox

Bug-Bond for realistic tying

I've been a member here for over a year but never really posted... First off I have to declare an interest which you should all be aware of... I designed and developed Bug-Bond a UV cured acrylic that's big plus point is that it cures tack-free and is flexible. For those who get Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine... I'd refer you to the June issue for Magnus Angus's 2 page review.

At the Dutch Fly Fair I was tying sand eels... which is perhaps of no interest to the realistic tyer... however, the story has a bit more to it... I was approached by Henrik Juhl Petersen who produces the hjpnymph tool (the stainless steel template for wingcases). This is a fantastic little tool. Henrik told me it takes him 3-5 hours to make a wingcase for a stonefly using a build up of soft body... so we tried using Bug-Bond... the first attempt failed as the tag was too small... I hadn't put enough Bug-Bond on... the second though worked without a hitch... and time taken to make a wingcase... application time is a few seconds and say 3 to 5 seconds to cure!!

Henrik presented me with this nymph made with Bug-Bond at the end of the show...

28341_1321794211134_1419204604_30745165_1907132_n.jpg

the story gets better as Johan Put then sent me a photoraph of his stonefly where the wingcase, legs and eyes have been created with Bug-Bond... the fact that there isn't any stick residue at all is a big plus...

34106_1473933939373_1564420798_1154375_1350519_n.jpg

I wish I could show you how flexible the product is - I do have a Youtube video for those that would like to see it BUT it may be too overtly commercial for posting here...

I hope this post doesn't push the boundaries too far as it is... I just feel that the material may have some benefits for the realistic tyer... plus there are no solvents to worry about as the material is 100% solids and solvent free...

Is there any difference with the Loon stuff like Knot sense or wader repair which has been around for years using the same uv to cure?

Greets Paul

Paul, Yes, there is a really big difference between the materials... Bug-Bond is about as high a grade UV cure material as you are going to get at the moment... and this is not a repackaged version of anything else... No one else has it... If I get flamed for putting this video link I apologise...

Regards

David

I was there on the Flyfair (looking at your left shoulder sitting next to Johan)....talked to Johan about it and we agreed that it was good stuff.

I might even switch to it when I run into it again ;)

Greets Paul

I think, it is great stuff.

I really like it and there are a million ways to use it.

Here is my lates bug bond trick i did today for my little girl who love the lady bugs.

Johan

P7110026.jpg

Ik heb de haak er maar helemaal afgeknipt, leek me veiliger dan alleen de weerhaak :D :lol:

Thanx David :cheers:

Johan

How is your product different from the clear cure goo I posted about? I am going to buy one of these products just wondering if you can explain the differences.

How is your product different from the clear cure goo I posted about? I am going to buy one of these products just wondering if you can explain the differences.

Bryan... the big difference is that Bug-Bond cures without any sticky residue... probably the first light cured acrylic designed specifically for fly-tying

Can you build on top of it once cured? Meaning that I put a layer down of bug bond and cure it. I don't like it and want it bigger can I add more material and cure again?

Can you build on top of it once cured? Meaning that I put a layer down of bug bond and cure it. I don't like it and want it bigger can I add more material and cure again?

Bryan... yes you can layer it without any problem...

Where can I get some, I'm in Canada??

Blessings,

Jeremy

Jeremy, I ship just about anywhere... thanks for asking. Kind regards, David