Fly Tying
Dart

Black Widow ID

I was looking at Wikipedia for a specific ID, but I'm unfamiliar with the markings on the back. Does anyone know exactly what type of widow this is?

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

The Males around here are smaller with stripes and/or red markings going all the way around the abdomen. It probably just a localized genetic carry over from that. I have seen a couple of females with double hour glasses over the years and some other markings. I doubt that they are a sub-species or anything...just an odd-ball.

Does anyone know exactly what type of widow this is?

I suggest posting it on www.BugGuide.com if you want an expert opinion.

The Males around here are smaller with stripes and/or red markings going all the way around the abdomen. It probably just a localized genetic carry over from that. I have seen a couple of females with double hour glasses over the years and some other markings. I doubt that they are a sub-species or anything...just an odd-ball.

agree 100%. Down in the Dothan area, we had quite a few with markings similar to that. Most were just the well-known plain black with the red hourglass, but many had extra markings. Strange, out west (New Mexico, Nevada) I don't remember seeing any that had extra spots.

I am so glad that I live in Canada.. Aside from the idiots that think its cool to catch a bunch while down south so they can release them up here when they get home.. A local teen killed his own grandmother accidentally when his container full of widows was opened by accident by the grandmother.. she was bit 4 times and just couldn't and went into cardiac arrest before the ambulance arrived..

Kinda odd since its quite rare to see deaths caused by these spiders but I bet most of the deaths are from careless curiousity of people wanting to keep them as pets or want to touch them.. etc...

We had quite an infestation in our summer house down south one year, almost sold the house even after they were "removed" just because no one wanted to sleep there thinking that maybe there were more.. lol

Cheers

Chris