Fly Tying
Colt1911

Tying on a non-existent budget - extreme beginner

One custom macguyverized bobbin - err bobbin holder

One highlighter or dry erase marker (used = Free)

One small wooden dowl (bamboo shish-kabob skewer 50 for a dollar)

bobbins from sewing machine (got prob 30 of them for the sewing machine, can use them later on sewing machine and refill them from sewing machine so free for this)

end off of a dead bic pen

empty the guts/tip from the highlighter, notch the big end so the bobbin fits snugly - spool tension is created by the gap

punch holes in the 'ears' created by the notching

heat end of highlighter to soften and insert the point of the bic pen, just like you were putting it bac on the pen tube.

pop the bobbin in the slot, put your trimmed to length piece of down through the holes creating an axle (for more weight use a bolt, anything that fits)

thread through the body of the highlighter and out the pen tip

Cost=15 minutes for the first one, 3 minutes each for the next 4 and some stuff that was cluttering up my desk.

id like to see that picture

ditto...

ditto ditto...

post-28141-1281980460_thumb.jpg

used a plastic dowel on this one (got carried away boring the axle holes)

That is awesome! Some day I hope things look up for you and you can buy a few tools!

Great ingenuity!

Welcome Colt. As a father of 4 I know how precious time and money are, and I'd love to help. I always have extra feathers and hides in my freezer, or in salt in the basement. PM me with your address, and I can send you a variety of feathers and fur. I have more than I could possibly use, and every hunting season I save more just to give away to guys I work with that tie. Just remember it doesn't matter how you make your fly, but that YOU made your fly. Not having the state of the art equipment just makes your flies that much more special.

I would like to thank all the folks who have messaged me with tips and materials, y'all definitely know how to welcome a feller.

Stumbled on this forum and found tons of what looks like useful info but, I am trying to get into tying on a non existent budget. I have cobbled together a few fly like THANGS (won't elevate them to actual fly status) using miscellaneous snelled hooks (stripped - bought 41 packages mixed sizes at a yard sale .10 cents a pack) various thread, feathers picked up from the fence at the zoo - frozen to kill bugs, course hair from the dogs grooming brush (Chesapeake bay retriever very wiry/stiff), popper heads from disposable yellow/orange ear plugs, and a few other scraps of nothing.

I have absolutely nothing that resembles fly tying tools other than a few good pairs of scissors.

Here is the question, Have any of you MADE or Modified things into workable tools?

been using krazy glue and wooden skewers stuck into a block of styrofoam as a vice (glue the hook just above the point pop it lose with a razor when done)

made a few bodkins

And I would rather not be told to invest, I have not been able to fish at all for a few years and still cant really afford it. I have now found a way to get a babysitter for a few hours every weekend - and my choice was either buy a fishing license or buy gizmos and gadgets to make things to sit and look at.

Shoot me a PM with your Addy and i'll cobble together a care package for ya man!

All very good suggestions. It's amazing what you can find in the oddest of places.

The clear windows on business envelopes make very good scud backs.

I've used candy bar wrappers for wing cases on nymphs, pieces of antron from carpets,

rubber bands and plastic cord (I think the kids call it Boondoggle - they make lanyatds and bracelots from it)

for segmented nymph bodies, various pets over the years have unknowingly supplied me with all

kinds of dubbing, etc. You can make a bodkin from a needle and almost anything for a handle. I made a couple

using Buffalo teeth as handles. Round toothpicks also come in handy for applying head cement.

I ALWAYS go with my wife to the fabric and craft stores, but lately she's been pleading with me not to go.

I guess it's hard to get me out of there.

Small fingernail clippers make fine line nippers. Take off the little lever that folds out, it just gets in the way.

Tape a safety pin on the opposite end to clear the eyes on the stream.

PM me with your address,

I have some spare material and a few tools.

Now for the really rough part, figuring out what works :wallbash:

Already got a few of them simple leeches put together, as well as some popperish wads.

Any more suggestions? The Brazos River is my favorite stomping ground, its about the color and texture of tomato soup and is overly populated with 2-12 lb channel, 10+ lb yellow cat (flathead to yall of northern decent) and if you are not careful or have a serious grudge against your rod - the ever present alligator gar ( had a little 3 footer break a 9' okuma 6 wt rod like a tooth pick, still cant figure out how it didnt break my leader first - I shall never use another rod holder)

Occasionally lightning strikes and I tie into a hybrid or black bass but usually only during flood stages.

Now for the really rough part, figuring out what works :wallbash:

Already got a few of them simple leeches put together, as well as some popperish wads.

Any more suggestions? The Brazos River is my favorite stomping ground, its about the color and texture of tomato soup and is overly populated with 2-12 lb channel, 10+ lb yellow cat (flathead to yall of northern decent) and if you are not careful or have a serious grudge against your rod - the ever present alligator gar ( had a little 3 footer break a 9' okuma 6 wt rod like a tooth pick, still cant figure out how it didnt break my leader first - I shall never use another rod holder)

Occasionally lightning strikes and I tie into a hybrid or black bass but usually only during flood stages.

Check out the warmwater fly tyer site http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/

lots of good stuff on there.

Gar are fun if you target them :rolleyes:

post-28141-1281980460_thumb.jpg

used a plastic dowel on this one (got carried away boring the axle holes)

Colt....that is beyond amazing...what an invention! ROCK ON!