Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started when I was 13. With a starter tying kit from Herter's. Had a japanese 'boo rod then my brother sent me from Japan while he was in the navy. It was probably a 6 or 7 wt. I learned to cast withthat rod, but haven't the faintest idea what became of it. I been tying ever since but for a few years when I discovered girls and such. Big thrill when I caught my first fish on a fly I tied. That was on the North Umpqua river in about 1969. That's where I learned fly casting and fishing. It was a fair sized steelhead on a black gnat I had whipped and thrashed till it was fishin' like a wet. I'm 51 now, so that's 38 years, give or take. I'm tyin pretty passable flies now. Just discovered the internet and all it brings to flyfishin this last winter when I was recovering from a hip replacement. I've done a few swaps, and that is very cool.

Now I tie a few times a week, I built my own vise, bobbins,table, stackers, everything but my scissors.

I'm a machinist by trade, so that's all no real feat. I just like to build my own stuff. Years back I built a few rods using Fenwick blanks I got from Herter's. I got almost everything from Herter's then, except a few hackles, yarns and chenniles I got from Cascade Tackle Company. They're gone now, like Herter's, but those days they were right around the corner from my parent's house, run out of a fella's garage.

Right now I'm working on a special lathe to turn rod seats and cork, and to use as a rod building platform. when it's up and running, I figure to start buildin. rods again. I got an 18 year old son, he's the best fishin partner I ever had, he ain't much interested in tyin, but he's a fine flyfisherman. I had him fishin since he was big enough to swing a rod. Between the two of us and a couple friends who don't tie, I keep busy keepin us all supplied with material to decorate the streamside shrubbery with. We often catch fish though.

Happy tyin & flyin..........................................ModocDan :D

Learned fishing from my grandfather in the Keys between '49 and '55. Not many of us native Conchs left. Started fly fishing and tying in '89 and tying for shops in '95 but quit that business in '01. Now it's a hobby again.

I've been tying since the weekend that my grandfather passed away.... September 10th 2007 was when he did and that was a monday so..... the 15th of september... and Ive gone from

IPB Image

to

IPB Image

AND

IPB Image

started tyin' in 2000- so- goin' into my 8th year of tyin'.... learn something new everyt time i sit down to the vise- i feel very fortunate to have such a well rounded hobby in fly fishing and tying!

B) , Clarkii.

I tyed thirty years ago when I lived in PA. I just picked it up again a couple of years ago now that I live in the NC mountains. Sure has changed alot, all the new materials. I'm using a thirty year old cape that winds just fine.

I started when I was 19,i'm 43 now... I started because I couldn't afford buying the flies and living in Florida didn't really have access to any. Then I got into production tying for a few years and quickly found out that was work.Now I tie just for myself and friends and sell a few once in a while.

i have been tying since 2006 on my b day and i wish i found out about fly fishing when i was a younger. I have so much fun trying to learn new patterns and new knots. watching the fish hit you fly that you tied and having fun with my fishing buddies.

josh

I have been tying for 2 years this easter and I am all ready churning out stuff like this.

Happy tying,

Jason.

IPB Image

I started tying in high school. I worked for a guy in a small TV repair shop and he had a tying vise at the shop. Growing up in central Iowa, with the only thing to fish for was catfish and rough fish, I always dreamed of someday fishing trout or steelhead.

The guy that owned the tv repair shop got me started in tying. I started out with some pretty rough looking trout flys that I always thought that I would use for trout. Those originals flys never saw the water, and I don't have a clue as to what ever happened to them.

The long and the short of it. I started tying in 1972. You do the math, that way I won't feel to old :)

i have been tying since dec 2007. that is when i received the tying kit.

watt :headbang:

19 years. next year will mark 20, and although not all as hardcore as the last 10 or so years, they have all been fun. First flies tied at the age of 13, and boy were they interesting messes.