Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PAPA VV

Estonian Jungle Cock Skins on Ebay

I never could get myself to use these things......

eye_jungle_cock_imitation.jpg

I agree. I just cant do it... However I have seen some people use the Pro HD colored jungle cock and it looked pretty good!

Here is a JC cape I got in today from a fly shop in Canada that has blown me away with customer service, great price and personalized service. I asked for certain sized nails to use to tie smaller fishing flies and he hand picked this cape, as well as a grizzly saddle with sized 12-18. If anyone wants to know about this fly shop let me know, they ship orders.

$40 cape

post-45233-0-11596000-1379036979_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-69992300-1379037022_thumb.jpg

Here is a JC cape I got in today from a fly shop in Canada that has blown me away with customer service, great price and personalized service. I asked for certain sized nails to use to tie smaller fishing flies and he hand picked this cape, as well as a grizzly saddle with sized 12-18. If anyone wants to know about this fly shop let me know, they ship orders.

$40 cape

attachicon.gifDSCN2879.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN2880.JPG

WOW. That was a steal. Looks like a real good cape.

The Internet at work is closely monitored and censored. My boss asked me one day what she could buy her husband for a gift that would really WOW him that he would not buy himself. Knowing he ties flies I said a Jungle Cock neck.

Try to convince your female boss to search EBay for Jungle Cock at work. Just try. No really.

PS .......She bought one and he was happy.

Well, I searched "jungle cock at work". The first page was all capes for sale, the second page was all, well, the second word.

I just bought a cape of jc from Estonia off eBay. The pics looked fairly good with good color. I'm expecting splits but don't really care as I can fix those and the cape was 40$ with shipping. How bad could they be for 40$? The seller had over 500 sales and 100% satisfaction. 2 weeks to get here. I'll write a follow up when I get them.

I received my cape today. Just wondering like Rolf, what precautions should be taken? Thanks.

Ron

The freezer's not gonna do anything besides kill any adult insects that are present, which you should be able to see anyway. Just seal the material up in a plastic bag for a month, or better yet, two months, and any eggs on the material should have hatched by them. If it looks clean after quarantine, it most likely is. BTW - contrary to what I've read on forums, adult moths CANNOT eat through a plastic bag. In fact, they can't eat at all. It's the larvae that do the damage.

The freezer's not gonna do anything besides kill any adult insects that are present, which you should be able to see anyway. Just seal the material up in a plastic bag for a month, or better yet, two months, and any eggs on the material should have hatched by them. If it looks clean after quarantine, it most likely is. BTW - contrary to what I've read on forums, adult moths CANNOT eat through a plastic bag. In fact, they can't eat at all. It's the larvae that do the damage.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the advice.

Hey...you guys sound like your gonna mount those necks in a shadow box !

The day I got mine I started yankin' nails off and paste-in' 'em to the side of a few flies. Don't let them become garage sale bargains or heirlooms at your estate sale...use 'em .

If the bugs have you worried, I didn't find any problems with my neck from Estonia, get a "No Pest Strip" from Home Depot and put it in a storage box with a lid. I occasionally find carpet beetle evidence in my zip lock bags...they will eat through the plastic ! The beetles are not from Estonia either, they are home grown right here in my own back yard.

Enjoy your capes...tie some flies with them before you get too old to enjoy fishing them.

When first reading this thread, my thought was, "Estonian Jungle feathers can't be a real thing". Following this thread has been an education on feathers/hackle. Yet, the title is still titillating.

I agree with Steven. I haven't read above my post and really forgot the origin of the thread. I scrolled back to the top and started over. I have to admit I really laughed when I read troutguy's post. There are some words that should never go in order!