Fly Tying
Denis Lamy

Costa Rican trip

Hi,

My Spouse and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica. Me for fly fishing; and her for sights, culture and ecotourism, but she does fish also (flats and rivers). I teach most of the year so we can only travel from May to August inclusively. What should we look for? Where in Costa Rica? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It will be my first trip in the South for saltwater fishing, so I’d like it to be a good one. I like to catch fish, but mostly I like to be fishing. I tie my own flies, so any recommendation to tie would be appreciated. Fall and Winter are tying season here. ;-)

One more thing, I'm planning on buying a rod and reel for the trip, I al;ready have a 4wt 7'6" Sage Discovery, a 9' 6wt Sage DS2 and a 8'6" 7wt Daiwa, (my first rod). They are 2 sections rod, medium action (Sage are medium-slow, the Daiwa is a little bit stiffer). So I'm looking for a 3 or 4 sections rod for traveling (I'll bring the other ones, but I'd like a short case for my cabin bag). Should I go longer, higher weight line, stiifer rod? What about the reel. large harbor or not? You're the experts, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and patience.

I took nothing lighter than an 8 weight 9' rod when I fished in Mexico. As for a reel, you will want one that will hold at least 100 yards of backing and an WF 8 weight line. Three or 4 piece rods will fit in most overheads. Pack your rod, reel, and flies in carry on case. DON'T take fly tying materials. There can be restrictions on what fur feathers you can travel with.

Hi everyone,

In anticipation of our trip, I just bought a 4 pieces rod, St-Croix Legend, 9' 10wt, combine with a Scientific Angler System 2 Large Arbor reel, 250m of Rio gel spun backing and a Scientific Angler Mastery Series Tarpon line. :D

Be interested to hear how you go, Costa Rica i have not been to yet but if its anything like El Salvador you are in for good fishing. We have a friend who runs a game fishing boat down there, he catches sailfish, roosterfish, dorado, tuna, marlin etc. It's all very exciting but for that fishing you need to use his game rods while trolling unless you come across some fish close to the boat then a 12wt minimum. Shore fishing along the beach is pretty decent, lots of small snook which would lend themselves nicely to an 8wt. I'd take an intermediate tip or sink tip too. Best times there seemed to be dec - feb. Damn jealous, have fun :)

Are you going to the east or west coast?? West coast will be offshore for sails, marlin and roosterfish etc. The east coast will be tarpon and snook. It edpends on which coast you go to will determine the your rods, reels and leaders. Have you contacted and charter boats or guides? They can tell what you will need.

you gan get a really cheap boat out of most harbors with just a bit of U.S. cash. Most Cpt. will take you out for 50 but if you give them $100 and let them keep the catch they will break their back for you!! great people down there.

dont try and walk to the rivers!!! you might not make it back. The foliage grows right to the edge of the water and where there is open land it is full of ants.

spin some deer hair fruit patterns!! I for thet their name but one of the larger river fish is a vegetarian and takes fruit that falls off trees and floats down.

Are you going to the east or west coast?? West coast will be offshore for sails, marlin and roosterfish etc. The east coast will be tarpon and snook. It edpends on which coast you go to will determine the your rods, reels and leaders. Have you contacted and charter boats or guides? They can tell what you will need.

The plan so far is for in-shore fishing mostly, on the West Coast around Drake Bay. We are also divers, so trying to kill 2 birds in one stone. ;)

If I go off shore for big ones (sails, marlins, etc.) I plan to use the boats equipment. We'll see down there, I don't have much patience for the long wait. Been on a 1 day fishing trip once for marlins in Cuba and we only saw one sail and not even a nibble. So...