Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chase-the-Yough-fisher

Rod?

i think im going to make the investment ot buy a new rod, i've been using my grandpas old shakespear, and i feel its time for an upgrade, it just seems to bulky, stiff, and heavy.

some questions i had were, which weight and action should i get. most of my fishing will be in streams for 8-14 inch trout and other things of the sort.

any suggestions of brands or models would be good, as long as their under 100$ (begginer proof too plz), maby a little higher if i can get it on ebay cheaper.

thanks,chase

There are plenty of quality fly fishing outfits out there for you to choose from. Personally, I like the Cortland stuff. Around 150 bucks gets you the line, rod and reel. You can also get the same from Cabelas. I have a nice 2wt from Cabelas. My 3wt is from Cortland and I have had it for 15 years now. Still works great. Out there you may want to shoot for a 4 or 5 wt. This is all of course just my two cents. I am sure many on here will tell you to buy other stuff but I do like the Cortland stuff.

There are plenty of quality fly fishing outfits out there for you to choose from. Personally, I like the Cortland stuff. Around 150 bucks gets you the line, rod and reel. You can also get the same from Cabelas. I have a nice 2wt from Cabelas. My 3wt is from Cortland and I have had it for 15 years now. Still works great. Out there you may want to shoot for a 4 or 5 wt. This is all of course just my two cents. I am sure many on here will tell you to buy other stuff but I do like the Cortland stuff.

yeh i was kind of leaning twords the cabellas "traditional 2" rod 4/5 weight unless some one could show me something better. ill search around and learn more about courtland rods. i might like them

First of all, hang on to grandpa's old Shakespeare rod.

Fly Depot has a two piece Cortland 5/6 line rod for under $60.00.

Some Cabela's entry level rods are priced well under $100. A 5/6 line size will be more usefull as a "first" rod. With Cabela's rods, be sure and keep the reciept incase you need repairs.

I have two Cabela's rods and both have been fine rods. I also have an Echo which I like, its a 10' 8 weight, and its seen a lot of heavy salmon and trout in the last couple of years.

Also look at TFO rods. They have some right around $100. Both the Echo, and TFO lines of rods come with no fault replacement policies. If you break it, send it back with the handling fee, and you get a new one, no questions asked.

I started many, many years ago with a Cortland 8 wt fiberglass rod. I beat the crap out of it, but caught a lot of fish with it. Cortland has been around a long time. Some of their better rods, I was told, were built by Hardy, in England. I would definitely check them out.

I also have a Cabelas rod, a 6 wt pre- China Syndrone 4 piece pack rod that I was told was built on a GLoomis blank. I've had it since 1989. It's one of my favorites to use & also has caught a lot of fish, even 30 inch Striped Bass. Although you may not find a similar rod from Cabela's these days, they still seem to sell very good quality rods.

I have a TFO 10 wt too, one of the older Lefty Kreh Signature rods, and have no complaints at all. I've cast several rods from other manufacturers that were much higher priced, and did not see enough difference between them & the TFO to justify paying the higher amount. Great rods IMO.

You didn't mention what type of fishing you like to do. If you're primarily a dry fly angler, then you might want a 3 or 4 wt. If you're more a streamer guy, then a 5/6 would likely be a better choice. If you also fish for bass, then perhaps even a 7 wt, although it may be too much rod for small streams. Action is something you really have to determine for yourself. Everyone casts differently & have different preferences. You need to cast some rods to figure out what best fits you.

First of all, hang on to grandpa's old Shakespeare rod.

Fly Depot has a two piece Cortland 5/6 line rod for under $60.00.

Some Cabela's entry level rods are priced well under $100. A 5/6 line size will be more usefull as a "first" rod. With Cabela's rods, be sure and keep the reciept incase you need repairs.

I have two Cabela's rods and both have been fine rods. I also have an Echo which I like, its a 10' 8 weight, and its seen a lot of heavy salmon and trout in the last couple of years.

Also look at TFO rods. They have some right around $100. Both the Echo, and TFO lines of rods come with no fault replacement policies. If you break it, send it back with the handling fee, and you get a new one, no questions asked.

yeh i will keep the shakespeare for shure, it might be vintage already, i couldnt find it online.

so far im still leaning twords the cabelas rod, my casting teacher had one and he let me use it and i liked it

that replacement polocy sounds nice on the echo and tfo rods.

I started many, many years ago with a Cortland 8 wt fiberglass rod. I beat the crap out of it, but caught a lot of fish with it. Cortland has been around a long time. Some of their better rods, I was told, were built by Hardy, in England. I would definitely check them out.

I also have a Cabelas rod, a 6 wt pre- China Syndrone 4 piece pack rod that I was told was built on a GLoomis blank. I've had it since 1989. It's one of my favorites to use & also has caught a lot of fish, even 30 inch Striped Bass. Although you may not find a similar rod from Cabela's these days, they still seem to sell very good quality rods.

I have a TFO 10 wt too, one of the older Lefty Kreh Signature rods, and have no complaints at all. I've cast several rods from other manufacturers that were much higher priced, and did not see enough difference between them & the TFO to justify paying the higher amount. Great rods IMO.

You didn't mention what type of fishing you like to do. If you're primarily a dry fly angler, then you might want a 3 or 4 wt. If you're more a streamer guy, then a 5/6 would likely be a better choice. If you also fish for bass, then perhaps even a 7 wt, although it may be too much rod for small streams. Action is something you really have to determine for yourself. Everyone casts differently & have different preferences. You need to cast some rods to figure out what best fits you.

thoes lefty kreh's look good, not too expensixe either, cool.

im a small river/creek dry angler mostly, but i like going to the local lake and catching some 7-9 in bluegill (they put up a fight for their size) so i guess a 4 wt would be good, right. next time i go to my casting instructor ill try different actions to see what suits.

W.W. Grigg rods are wonderful and inexpensive. They aren't a 'kit' but will probably outlast most if not all of the rods found in the rod-reel-n-line combos. The best weight would be either a four weight or five weight.

W.W. Grigg rods are wonderful and inexpensive. They aren't a 'kit' but will probably outlast most if not all of the rods found in the rod-reel-n-line combos. The best weight would be either a four weight or five weight.

yeh those doo look nice and very cheap.(thanks for the tip)

i now have three in mind and will buy according to how much money i can make at my yard sale.

these are the three

Cabela'a Pt+

Wallmarts Courtland rod

W.W. Grigg GX

thanks everyone for the input

That rod should work well for you. Good to hear your still tying and fishing!

Enjoy your new rod,

Trez

I bought a traditionals 2 in 8 wt for steelhead. It is a good rod and should treat you well. My only complaint about that rod is the reel seat was a bit on the small side and i had trouble getting my reel on it. Other than that it has worked well. Hope you enjoy yours.

Tight lines