Fly Tying
Druce

spoon flies

hey everyone, im looking into putting a few spoon style flies in the box for this spring. Now iv done my research, with not the best results, iv seen epoxy spoon flies for imitating crabs and such but what im really looking for is a fly that spins like a regular fishing spoon on the drop, so 1 strip than let it flutter down, hoping for a hit as it falls into the depths! Anyone ever tried making them? i was even thinkin aluminum cans as they are light and go good with epoxy. Im not looking at big onse just mabey an inch in length at max, im thinking some weight along the shank would help it spin but im still in the dark on the mechanics, any help is gold, thanks all.

Druce

I have used acrylic finger nails. They come in many sizes and you can modify them any way you want.

Wow! no way that a great idea, and they spin and everything? what kind of hook do you put them on and how do you apply them? :P PM me!

Check out the new issue of Fly Tyer magazine, Zach has some pictures over on the Itinerant Angler of how to use silly putty and epoxy.

post-15490-1290383736_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for material like the aluminum on this one I made, check out the trading floor. I am about to put some up forsale.

Unless you use a swivel, you really don't want them to spin as this will twist & weaken your tippet. If you want something that spins, then add a propeller blade to the fly or a spinner blade & clevise & a bead or two to your line ahead of the fly. The spinner blade & clevise was very popular at one time.

You want a spoon to just flutter down and wobble when retrieved, not spin. Try using a long shank hook & elongate the base material. Use something like EZ Body as your base, or you can use thin plastic lashed to the hook, then coat them with epoxy. You can also use stainless leader wire or heavier mono to make a form & fill it with epoxy. This is a bit harder to do as you have to work faster, but works well on smaller size spoons.

Joe Bruce makes a nice spoon for fly rods, here's a link that will give you some ideas, scroll down for the spoon fly. As you will see, he also incorporates a swivel into his spoon. Joe Bruce Spoon Fly

awsome stuff guys i think i may pick up some long shanked hooks and give it a try, im thinking aluminum would be my best bet as horseshoes mentioned, its easy to play with, super light and super thin, ill just glue on some flash over the aluminum and epoxy it so the aluminum isnt crushed when fish take it.

Druce