Fly Tying
richyrichtherich

Paper Clip Bobbin Twirler - Mark II

Made one of my own this weekend, and tried it out by tying a couple of flies. A little bit of a learnign curve, but rewatching Mitch's videos several time has helped get me going. Still not great at it, but can already see this is going to be a good technique to use. The practice fly shown is made entirely from 4 or 5 strands of ostrich.

:thumbup:

Well done. The tool and fly look great, I tie a similar pattern but with just marabou.

It's the only bobbin I use now. Try including some flash in the loops, or spin 2 different colours of floss for spiralled bodies.

Rich.

I saw this post a while ago and finally got a-round-tu-it. Pretty kewl! I like not having to keep the bobbin out of the way while I wrap the dubbing loop/brush forward. Great instructions, thanks a lot.

Kirk

I saw this post a while ago and finally got a-round-tu-it. Pretty kewl! I like not having to keep the bobbin out of the way while I wrap the dubbing loop/brush forward. Great instructions, thanks a lot.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Did you use the same components as mine, or make your own version?

Rich

THATS JUST GREAT :wallbash: HOW AM I GOING TO GET THAT ON MY NEW MAG RIGHT BOBBIN

really cool post i agree with Mr. Vegas " i got my project for the night I'm going to go out to the shop hear at work and see if i can use any of the stuff here for it....

THATS JUST GREAT :wallbash: HOW AM I GOING TO GET THAT ON MY NEW MAG RIGHT BOBBIN

really cool post i agree with Mr. Vegas " i got my project for the night I'm going to go out to the shop hear at work and see if i can use any of the stuff here for it....

Go for it. I haven't put my HCT down since I made it. Kinda makes you wonder how the a retail bobbin can cost $$$!!!

I would be interested to find out how your project goes.

Rich.

it cost so much because people will pay that much

Before I decided to start this project, I did give consideration to the retail version. Good job the DIY version does the job.

:rockon:

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Did you use the same components as mine, or make your own version?

Rich

Rich, why re-invent the re-invented wheel? I wasn't gonna tinker with something that I know you tinkered on enough to come up with a second, MarkII, version. I've got to much other chit I'm tinkering with right now.

I made two, one with a paper clip and one with a bobby-pin, both I used the pen cartridge/tube like you did on the bobbin. Only thing was I had to secure the metal to the pen tube with a few wraps of thread to hold it in place while the CA dried and then I finished wrapping and whip finishing and just topcoated with nail polish.

Kirk

Rich, why re-invent the re-invented wheel? I wasn't gonna tinker with something that I know you tinkered on enough to come up with a second, MarkII, version. I've got to much other chit I'm tinkering with right now.

I made two, one with a paper clip and one with a bobby-pin, both I used the pen cartridge/tube like you did on the bobbin. Only thing was I had to secure the metal to the pen tube with a few wraps of thread to hold it in place while the CA dried and then I finished wrapping and whip finishing and just topcoated with nail polish.

Kirk

I am glad my idea has made it on to some others bobbins. Have fun with it.

:cheers:

got it made it last night on my regular bobbin followed your directions used the material you told me and knocked it out came out great

Thanks again great post.

got it made it last night on my regular bobbin followed your directions used the material you told me and knocked it out came out great

Thanks again great post.

Cheers

:thumbup:

Rich and/or others using this tool: I seem to be experiencing a somewhat awkward moment when removing the loop from the hook to tie it off. I'm sure its just a matter of the more you use it, the easier that final tie off gets. I think I may need to feed more thread off the spool at the end so there is room for the loop to slip back down the hook??

Kirk

Rich and/or others using this tool: I seem to be experiencing a somewhat awkward moment when removing the loop from the hook to tie it off. I'm sure its just a matter of the more you use it, the easier that final tie off gets. I think I may need to feed more thread off the spool at the end so there is room for the loop to slip back down the hook??

Kirk

This is what I do. Leave the hook in the up position while you wind the looped materials, then slide the hook down when you need to tie off. Then you have the slack you need to unhook the loop. I hope this helps.

Rich

Thanks Rich for the idea. I modified my bobbin today using your method and it works great! I just did my first dubbing loop ever (I am new to fly tying) and I am very pleased with the result.