Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
muddywater

Ice flies

Ok, so living in Iowa, the ice fishing will soon be here and as I enjoy tying; I am wondering if any other members tie patterns for ice fishing? What patterns and size? <_< I am planning to tie a bloodworm pattern, my first for the ice. Looking for other suggestions. I noticed in the patterns there were some nice looking waxworms too. Think I might try my hand at some of those too.

here is my favorite one, it is supposed to look like a fish eye. a blood worm would probably be a good fly, and wax worm patterns would work to. you could use just about any wet or subsurface fly that you would use for bluegill

Materials

Hook: Mustad 3906 size 10

Weight: 2 or 3 layers of lead wire

Body: pink ansd white rabbit dubbing, partialy mixed

Eye: small google eye glued to top

post-27572-1290818824_thumb.jpg

here is my favorite one, it is supposed to look like a fish eye. a blood worm would probably be a good fly, and wax worm patterns would work to. you could use just about any wet or subsurface fly that you would use for bluegill

Materials

Hook: Mustad 3906 size 10

Weight: 2 or 3 layers of lead wire

Body: pink ansd white rabbit dubbing, partialy mixed

Eye: small google eye glued to top

That's cool. Thanks

I don't ice fish but I know that there are some nice waxie flies in the pattern database that work great. Tied up a some last year for our mailman, he's a big ice fisherman. He said they worked and last allot longer then the waxie worms you buy at the bait store :)

Mike

Artificial polar fiber works really nicely, seems to glide in the water and keep its shape nicely and its not really brittle. You can tie some pretty mean looking baitfish patterns in small sizes. I like to pair it with a 1/32oz jig head and usually throw in a piece of flash or two. Perhaps a mysis shrimp pattern on a tiemco 200R or scud hook size 14 or 12 or vernille in various colors on the same hooks.....and in the past I've heard alot of testimony to the 1/32oz jigs.....because it swims better with a very slow retrieve....bloodworms sound great too!

Tight Lines