Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

reallly?

Yup....Of course, that was....the 70s I guess. I had 3. Black, Brown and Yellow. The overall length was about .75 inch with a narrow midsection. The hookwas about a 12 or 14 treble.

Ooh!! Ooh!! Ooh!!!

I don't care what it is, I bet redfish would eat that up on low tide! I WILL make one.

It's a fly in my book.

Looks pretty "fly" to me. I use blades extensively on my muskie flies. If blades are disqualifying criteria for a fly, then I didn't fly fish all fall long.

Kodiak, you've resurrected this thread! I had a couple of fly rod size Flatfish many years ago, and recall reading an article many, many years ago when I was kid, about threading small spinner blades, clevises and a few beads on the tippet ahead of the fly to make them more appealing. I haven't done that in many years now, but it worked well. It was one of my favorite ways to catch Yellow Perch & Pickerel as a kid. I have since incorporated spinner blades into bass & Striper flies, and they certainly do help sometimes!

BTW, I wonder where Day5 is these days? I haven't seen him post in quite awhile! He sure had a knack for coming up with some very cool fly designs!

If it don't land on a hamburger at a BBQ, then it ain't a fly. If it can be cast with a flyrod, it is a flyrod lure - if it ain't live bait, its a lure. The problem comes in where some time ago, people casting insect imitating lures on a flyrod began calling them flies.

If it can be cast with a flyrod, its a fly to me including my spoon and foam swimbait.

I've had people not want to use my Spoon Fly because it wasn't a fly until their buddy on the boat caught one fish after another.

Kirk

I love non-classic flies! Where can I see your Spoon Lure? Thank you!

post-34261-0-32529400-1327447206_thumb.jpg post-34261-0-76335900-1327447262_thumb.jpg

the "fly" in question.....

Must be the done thing at the moment mate. A bunch of guys are tying up "spinner bait" flies here for use on Australian Bass, Yellow Belly (golden perch) and Murray Cod, just to name a few...

Agree with others, of course it's a fly.... I'm thinking seriously about experimenting with soft plastic 'worm-tails' on some of my flies at the moment, there's a whole heap of options out there...

You made it, you name it. I say call it what you want. If somebody doesn't like it, add them to the list of people who don't get to try one.

HELP!

I need help in categorizing the "bugs" in the attached photos that I have in my very modest collection of 20th century flyrod "bugs". The third from the right in the top row is labeled: "South Bend Super Duper". The big one across the bottom has a balsa or cork body. All in the second row have plastic bodies and were made by Heddon.

TIA!

Frank

post-8431-0-66404000-1357082427_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-33545200-1357082444_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-52465100-1357082465_thumb.jpg

HELP!

I need help in categorizing the "bugs" in the attached photos that I have in my very modest collection of 20th century flyrod "bugs". The third from the right in the top row is labeled: "South Bend Super Duper". The big one across the bottom has a balsa or cork body. All in the second row have plastic bodies and were made by Heddon.

TIA!

Frank

The Yellow one in the picture on the right is identified on eBay as a Heddon Flaptail. The Frog next

to it is an Arbogast Hula Popper.

Doing a search using the words Fly Rod Lures on eBay should help you identify many of them

or there are a few books on old lures that could help.

Stippled...

Thanks for the names and the suggestion; however, you missed my point. I had hoped to infer by "categorize", the question as to whether these were "flies" or "lures", in keeping with the thread topic. I have the names for most of them; fortunately!

Happy New Year!

Frank

Stippled Popper......You are missing the Flatfish flyrod lures. They had at least 3 or 4 sizes in multiple colors as well as chrome and gold plated.

I'll bet Ditz remembers Rocky and Rocky Jr. They were tiny jointed plugs, about an inch long, that could easily be thrown with a fly rod. They looked exactly like a wiggling minnow in the water, and were absolutely killer on trout and bass. Why they went out of production is hard to figure, considering how effective they were. Guess the fact that they were too light to be cast with anything except ultralight and fly tackle must have had something to do with it. I remember what I think were knockoffs that were marketed as Inch Minnows that were very similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Harrison-Jorgensen-Rocky-Jr-lure-Black-back-Yellow-w-black-spots-/271130832342?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20a82dd6

Peter...

I personally suspect the two separate, but closely coinciding, events brought about their demise. The first was the introduction to spinning gear after WW II, and the embargo on anything out of China, which brought about the demise of the so-called "production" (i.e., South Bend, Horrocks-Ibbotson, Montague, etc.) bamboo fly rods. Fly fishing pretty much fell by the wayside for decades as a consequence. This pretty much dried up the market for such interesting "bugs". No market, why make?

It is a shame they have gone the way of the 5¢ cigar!

Regards,

Frank