Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't have a problem with it. It is what it is. I use jig hooks, worm hooks, drop shot hooks. I tie flies with propellers behind the eye for pike and salt water. Trying to figure out how to get an inline spinner blade on the hook.

You use a piece of #12 stainless leader wire as a spinner shaft and put your fly right on it... round-jaw forming pliers are your friend....

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=32537&hl=clouspinner

Here are some examples. Make the fly in two pieces. Articulated. The green blade spinner attached with a split ring. The other mepps spinner, the bottom brass barrel slides up revealing a hooked bend in the wire so you can change tails. "maybe not this exact version but some mepps do" With these options you could tie one fly and have the option of changing blades for different water conditions and depth. I wouldn't recommend the weighted parts of the in-line spinners shown below for obvious reasons, just examples of how you can attach a separate spinner section to a separate fly section. I never saw the buzzbait version before so I thought I would throw it in. It has some awesome possibilities as long as one can still cast it. Pretty flies that can't cast are still scrap! Keep in mind, this type of spinner is notorious for twisting your line. You might (NO) you (WILL) have to put a small swivel between your leader and tippet. smile.png

post-19822-0-67328200-1407853939_thumb.png

post-19822-0-55559100-1407853987_thumb.png

post-19822-0-08822200-1407854003_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-95547300-1407854015_thumb.png

Some ideas for the winter. The buzz baits spinners are a bit too big and heavy for the type of flies I like to throw. The spinner blades come in sizes small enough to be useful. It's not hard to put a spinner blade on a regular hook you just can't use a clevics to hold it. Slide a bead head on to the shank and anchor it. Slide on the blade and then slide on a second bead behind it and anchor that one. Leave enough space between the beads for the blade to spin. Haven't had to many issues with the leader twisting. Props will cause more twisting. The bodies on the Mepps in line spinners aren't a whole lot different than some of the metal bodies you get when you buy a tube fly kit which may be another way of coming up with a "fly" that mimics one of them. Spinner baits, you can pick up what they call "jig spinner forms" which has the blade already attached, they range from a 1/2 inch to an inch long. Plenty of stuff out there to play with,

i would call it a fly for 2 reason. #1 you tied it yourself by hand and #2 you used mostly natural products to build it( fur, feathers ect... just my opinion. but im also sure you could cast that with a traditional rod and reel and have equal success with it.

Likewise, I'd call it a lure. I fish both with flyrod and ultralight. There are tiny 1/8 oz. Rooster Tail lures that are small and light enough to cast with a flyrod, but unless you're in flowing water you have to retrieve it steadily to make the spinner work. Inline spinners make ultralight lines prone to backlashes, but you can overcome that by (1) bending the shank just in front of the spinner, or (2) removing the spinner and maybe tying some flash or tinsel where it used to be.

Also, most lures use treble hooks, whereas fly tyers don't. I wouldn't say never, but probably never.

If it don't land on a hamburger at a BBQ, then it ain't a fly. If it can be cast with a flyrod, it is a flyrod lure - if it ain't live bait, its a lure. The problem comes in where some time ago, people casting insect imitating lures on a flyrod began calling them flies.

If it can be cast with a flyrod, its a fly to me including my spoon and foam swimbait.

I've had people not want to use my Spoon Fly because it wasn't a fly until their buddy on the boat caught one fish after another.

Kirk

I agree 100% if someone needs to define it than if you can cast it with a fly rod its a fly, honestly though who really cares what the guy calls it? the way I see it if your using fluorocarbon leaders and synthetic material or uv glues that's not "traditional" anyway were evolving and therefore the image of the fly changes well said

Oh now we're getting into etiology. I used to have a "folk music" group some years back, but actually we did mostly old timey sometimes pre-20th century country songs, or did new songs in a way that sounded old-timey. Ever since I can recall, there has been a running debate about what is "Folk Music"... and nobody has the answer. Some think it has to be a "traditional" song, some think it has to be from some other time or other culture, some think it has to be a protest song. Music stores just needed some categories so they knew where to stick the LPs and CDs. I think a folk song is just a song that is widely enough known that folks sing it while they work, or wash the dishes, or whatever, and hardly anyone knows their origin. But then that's just my preferred definition.

Now then, what is a lure? or a fly?

Since the worm can is opened ...

If you're fishing it on a fly rod, it's a lure called a fly.

If you fish it on conventional gear, it's only a lure.

Lure: "... a decoy; especially artificial bait used in fishing ..."

My point exactly. Remember in math class about sets and subsets. Fly is a subset of the larger set called Lure. Only problem is that the line between Fly and other Lures is fuzzy.

No "fuzzy" to it. Joseph got close in his reply above.

If you tie a 1 inch Rapala floating minnow to a leader and fly line ... get it out to target using the weight of the fly line, not the lure ... it's a lure that can be called a "Fly".

If you tie a 1 inch Rapala floating minnow to a spinning rod ... use the weight of the lure to get it to target ... it's a lure.

It's the method of fishing that defines the lure, not the lure itself. At least, that's what I think.

Clear as mud.

I have heard lure and fly used interchangeably in some discussions. I think if it has hardware like blades, metal or wood bodies it is a lure. ​If it is made out of what was mostly natural materials like hair and feathers it is a fly.

But some of the arguments made have me scratching a bald spot. That's what is great about forums like this.

Some of the best, most beautiful, and most realistic FLIES posted herein were made entirely of non-living (i.e., synthetic) materials, so there goes that dictum. Just like folk music learned from an I-tune.

cheers!

It's Christmas morning. I've got two very nice gift cards for my favorite fly shop. I've got one ultralight rod that can throw a one inch Rapala, not as far as it used to when I was using 4 lb mono. Got tired of fish breaking me off so I swithed to 8 lb. Still I draw a line at using twister tail grubs and molded plastic lures even though I could throw them with a fly rod. Figure if I want to throw a Rapala I can shape one out of foam.

post-309-0-83740400-1451059514_thumb.jpg

They've caught me fish when I've used them. I figure if I'd stuck to just spin fishing I'd be making my own lures. It's a fine line that I've created in my mind between using them and a Rapala.

"To fish using artificial flies for bait and USUALLY a fly rod for casting" I like this one it muddies the water even further.

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas

Just like folk music learned from an I-tune

Oh, geeze!! Did you have to go there. I was just about to buy an I-tune, too. Now that I know it's even POSSIBLE to find folk music on one, I'll never buy one.

Just joking, all you folk and polka music lovers out there.