Fly Tying
BigBrownTrout

Hook point up or down?

Hook point up or down?  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always tied and fished HPD.

For the last several years I purposely set the hook to the extreme left or right and usually hook the fish in the side of the mouth. This has resulted in fewer missed strikes because the hook is less prone to pull out of the fishes mouth even if it' mouth is open.

I am currently experimenting with HPU for streamers and nymphs.

The top sides of a fishes mouth has even more surace area than the bottom. For this reason in addition to L or R hook set HPU may further improve hook up's to land more fish.

It is interesting to note L or R hook set almost never goes down the throat.

Just think by adding HPU to the mix could making Catch & Release easier.

Offsetting the hook, or bending the point out of line with the shaft, has a name:

"Kirbed" and "reversed"

Kirbed or Reversed hook points are said to provide a better hook-up rate as the point does not get deflected by the shank. I've seen what you say; it does seem to make for better hook ups.

Strictly speaking, a kirbed hook point bends out to the right looking straight-on to the shaft, and the reversed hook point bends out to the left.

Hook trivia....

With streamers the point up or down doesn't matter. Research I have done appears that the choice up or down depended mainly on the shape and materials of the body.