Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

Thank You and I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm also sorry that I never once thought of joining the Military until 9/12/01 when the recruiter told me I "exceeded" the qualifications - I'm sure he meant to say that the Army didn't need any fat, half-blind, old, raged filled morons.

Never really sunk in that until that point I never really felt like an American - that I was a part of the greatest thing humanity had yet to put forward. I'm jealous and humbled that so many young guys knew that sooner and better than I.

And I'd like to say a special thank you to my little wife who is aboard to keep her big dummy safe.

A friend, MAJ Mike Clancy, got to Baghdad last night. He is an enginneer and will be working on reconstruction and infrastructure. He is not a flyfishingman....yet.

It's remembrance day here in Canada today, but I can't help but to also be thankful for the actions of our dear and couragous friends to the south, who continue to protect all of our freedoms and aspirations with thier supreme scarifices. None of it goes un-noticed or unappreciated. To those who have been lost, or lost their own, thank you from the bottom of my heart. God bless you and all you fight for!

Also, today here in U.K. it is Rememberance. As we usually do; wherever we are; my daughter Kirsty and I observed the 2 mins silence.

Sunday, again, we will be, if nothing else, watching the Rememberance Sunday coverage on t.v.

Kirsty, who is 21, wanted to join the R.A.F. and was doing well, till the medical. She wanted to fly jets, but having asthma in childhood, was unable to do so. However, not to be outdone, she decided to go in as a Physical Instrutor, only to discover she has bone deformities, (ongoing) which are genetic, so that is out.

She is now working, while considering what where she is headed, and what her options are. She was mad keen on the Air Cadets and hounded me until she was old enough to join. She did very well and I was, as I am, proud of her.

I guess at the end of this long diatribe, all I really want to say is. My heart goes out to those serving and their families.

J

And I would add a very sincere thank you to the Canadians and Brits that continue to stand side-by-side with us Yanks. I have had the pleasure of working with members of both of your armed forces and could not have been more pleased and proud....except when some one had the bright idea of playing a "friendly" game of rugby.

I don't have a son or daughter in the armed forces but I do have a sister who is a Captain in the Army Reserves. She just received her orders to ship out to Iraq. She is coming home the day after Thanksgiving & shipping out the following week.

This holiday will be a special one for our family as she will be deployed for over a year.

I can tell you we are all proud of her and her engineering battalion. She is ready to serve her country where ever she is called.

No matter what you think about this war...We Have To Support Our Troops!!!!!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

JP

JP, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know your sister and the rest of the engineers will be busy rebuilding Iraq. Write her often, there is something very reassuring about pulling a letter from home out of your DITY bag and reading it in the wee hours of the morning - for the hundredth time. Keep the home fires burning, we will pray for her and her soldiers.

WYKnot

QUOTE (WYKnot @ Nov 22 2004, 08:42 AM)
JP,  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I know your sister and the rest of the engineers will be busy rebuilding Iraq.  Write her often, there is something very reassuring about pulling a letter from home out of your DITY bag and reading it in the wee hours of the morning - for the hundredth time.  Keep the home fires burning, we will pray for her and her soldiers.

WYKnot

Thanks WYKnot

Appreciate your words.

My 11 yr old daughter is sad but understands why her aunt has to go. It amazes me that an 11 yr old 6th grader understands the reasons why and some grown ups do not.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

JP

My son called last week...from Fort Hood, Texas. He is home and we are thankful. We look forward to the day when they will all be home. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement, keep the home fires burning and thank ‘em when you see ‘em.

WyKnot

Thats excellent news! smile.gif be sure to give Andy a much appreciated Thank you from Michigan. Hope you guys are able to spend some time on the water together this season.

Steve

God bless all of you. I hope everyone can come home safe, and pray my thanks that people such as we mentioned are able and willing to serve so bravely. Thank you.