Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

Thank you QM41, I have been on both sides of the deployment fence, several times while on active duty and twice now as a father. Our prayers are with your daughter.

This time of the year we are especially aware of our absent family members. Yes, we miss our sons and daughters (moms, dads, aunts, and uncles) all the time; but the holidays are a particularly poignant time for family separations. Like others in the forum, I have never felt lonelier than when deployed far from home during Christmas. The operational setting keeps you busy, but those moments when you have time on your hands really magnify the distance between you and your loved ones.

My son, Andy, was deployed last year this time and not a day passed that he was not in our thoughts and prayers. And I know that many of you have experienced the same separation and worry. If you know someone in the military, deployed or not, add a note to this thread and let us help you honor their service.

Russ

Someone once said "We can sleep quietly in our beds because good men are willing to do their duty around the clock and defend us from those who would hurt us" I may have screwed up the quote.

But it is truer now than it ever was.

God bless ALL of the soldiers, marines, sailors and airman man and woman serving in our ARMED FORCES and our cooperating allies.

Sjo I trained with the Dutch in Germany during manuevers and their armor teams KICK [email protected]@. They used the Leopard very well.

Thanks to all,

Dave

9th ID OCTOFOIL 1st BDE Divarty

1st AD OLD IRONSIDES Divarty

ARTILLERY IS THE KING OF BATTLE "Napoleon"

Thank you all for your kind words. We all know that the Dutch have also had their share of screw-ups in the sixties in Indonesia and in the Nineties in former Yugoslavia, but when your hands are tied, you can't do a lot. We still carry the shame as a burden and that's why we always want to be there if there is mayhem in the world, trying to help our allies, however small we are, we don't wanna be ashamed for a lack of trying to make a difference.

Keep up your excellent work, hold your head down and come back safe and sound. Our prayers will always be with you, no matter what criticism there might be.

:headbang:

Sjo

I received e-mails last week from a couple of former cadets I taught at the Military Academy. One, a brand new captain, is with an MP company in Mosul, Iraq. She has 9 more months on her tour and then plans to attend medical school. The other is a 1LT at flight school in Ft. Rucker, AL; 3 more months of Apache transition training and then he will join up with the 4th Infantry Division.

I am very proud of them. They face difficult obstacles, show mature judgment, and serve with a great deal of pride. There are many, many young men and women serving in the military, in the US and among our allies worldwide. They are a source of great confidence to me and I will continue to do all I can to honor their commitment and support their future plans.

My cousin finally comes back to the states next month. Sgt. in the Ind. Nat'l Gaurd. 38th I.D. He was driving his humvee to a check point a few weeks back and got hit by a roadside bomb on the passenger side. All three in the truck took shrapnel, and the concussion really shook the passenger. He floored it right to a med center and got him some help. I'm just hoping G.M. doesn't lay him off before he gets back.

I'm just hoping G.M. doesn't lay him off before he gets back.

I don't think they can do that while he's deployed. It'd be a bitch if they did it at all.

Redleg,

I hope you cousin is OK, a roadside blast can really ruin a guy's day. I think DFix is right, GM cannot dump him while he is deployed. If I am wrong, and it certainly would not be the first time, then let me know. I am looking at a new truck next summer and would surely not buy a GM if they pulled some crap like that.

I had a great surprise yesterday afternoon, a telephone call from a young soldier I knew from West Point. He finished a rotation in Iraq just before Thanksgiving and will be visiting his folks at Christmas.

There are many exciting reunions this time of year, sons and daughters coming home from all over the world, even if just for a few days. And, yes, there are many, many more than cannot come home right now, having opted to serve Uncle Sam - a rather demanding commander at times. I know that I am not alone in recalling times away from home during the holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, and a couple of high school graduations; and I realize that I also share with several forum members that pride, privilege, and long nights that come from having a son in the military.

The only thing I ever found lonelier than punching holes under the ocean on Christmas Day was bobbing around on the surface, dead in the water, fixing main engine bearings on Christmas Day. Submarines aren't supposed to do that!

I think the worst part for us was that in addition to being away from home on special days, we couldn't call home, either. While I miss the camaraderie of being in the Navy, I don't miss that part of it at all. Makes family life hard.

Be proud of our soldiers and sailors. I have several friends who are still out deployed and I tell them I am proud of them every chance I get. Pray for them, keep them close to your heart, and when you see them hug them like you'll never let them go. But most of all, be thankful for what they do, and ask yourself "How have I enjoyed my freedom today?" Then thank them again because they give it to you.

TL

appalachian angler is your son getting deployed? if so where.

Navy, isn't it...? In fact, it was AA and his pride, concern, and care that started this message thread over a year ago.

Cousin's doing good, comeing home this month. I don't think his plant in Indianapolis is getting hit, but I'm not certain. I know they have to hold the job while activated, but they could always say report to Detroit or somewhere if you want a paycheck.

First Lieutenant Aaron Pearsall, a former cadet flyfishing club member at the US Military Academy, and now a platoon leader with the 3-71 Cav, 10th Mountain Division, sent me a letter from Afghanistan. He was also a relatively recent addition to the FTF, joining the forum a couple of months prior to his unit’s departure. I had the distinct pleasure of fishing and tying with Aaron while at West Point, even read the oath the day he graduated and received his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant. I am putting a field expedient tying kit together and mailing it out tomorrow. Tying flies helps the long nights pass by just a little bit quicker.

Im sure that there are more soldiers that tie, and I had an idea. Mabey we could get a list of a few of em and all donate some tools and materials, and send them to some one that could put them togeather in some small kits for them. I would be up for it and even chip in on the postage.