Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
O2fsh

Anyone?

I am concerned that nobody is posting to the saltwater portion of this site. Anyone out there tie saltwater patterns? Willing to share recipes? Ideas? Suggestions?

Come on folks!

Mike

Mike, the majority of my tying is for bass & saltwater species, Striped Bass in particular. I don't post much as far as patterns, because what I use is primarily basic stuff, like Clousers, Deceivers, Rabbit Strips and Seaducers and there are already many variations already posted. I'm always willing to discuss whatever you like! :)

Tidewater,

I am on the East coast as well. CT to be exact. I too tie for striped bass as well as other inter-coastal fishes. I enjoy tying deceivers in many color variations and am currently filling my box with shrimp and flounder patterns. I am attempting to tie the 'flounder around' fly. Not as simple as I initially perceived. My favorite shrimp pattern is the easy body shrimp. Fast and easy to tie in multiple sizes, weights, and colors.

I am also trying (!) to tie a shrimp pattern by a Norwegian tier. It is TOUGH!!!!! Finally rounded up all the materials in the colors called for and am now working out the knotted legs and the ribbing of the abdomen.

I would love to know how to tie a crease fly. Seems like a reasonable patter for stripers feeding on the surface.

Mike

I posted my salty flies in the warmwater section, ep's, shrimps, and stuff...only just found this section really

Mike, I don't tie many shrimp, the ones I do tie are Gotcha, Crazy Charlie type flies, which I use for perch. Although tying different patterns can be challenging, I just don't get too excited about trying to get too realistic. One fly I like a lot is a Squimp, it imitates shrimp, crabs & crawfish and is easy to tie. I tie some crabs too, but again they're simple, yarn body Merkin types. As far as shrimp for flounders, I've had good success on a tan & pink Clouser. I use more baitfish or eel patterns than anything else.

Crease flies are something I like to tie, fairly easy to do. You can keep them very simple or a little more flashy if you like. I made a template out of a piece of aluminum sheet. I buy the sheets of craft foam and trace the shape using the template. I apply a good wrap of thread on the hook shank & glue the bodies in place using super glue. Then cover the foam with stick-on holographic tape, trim the tape, add some stick on eyes and epoxy over the entire thing. Some type of rotator is needed for the epoxy. I make them in size 1/0 or 2/0 the most. There are many U-tube videos that show how to make them, but they're not hard to do. The biggest issue I had with them was getting the body on the hook just right so that it didn't block the hook gap. Use a long shank hook!

Crease flies are good on the surface, but they work very well fished on a sinking line too. :)

It has been slow latley, there are some awsome saltwater tiers on the forum. For me winter is when I post more fly pics or patterns, too busy fishing March - November...Try to post fish pics when I can.

I am on a tube and EP style binge at the moment, what type of flys are you interested in?

I am new here. I prefer to fish saltwater. I also just tie simple patterns. They work well for me. Always interested in what others are doing. I am in South Florida where the Bluefish are small. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrw so I will probably go out and try to get a couple while they are here!

When I signed up I wasn't sure there was a place to post. They tucked it away on the bottom of the page.

It has been slow latley, there are some awsome saltwater tiers on the forum. For me winter is when I post more fly pics or patterns, too busy fishing March - November...Try to post fish pics when I can.

I am on a tube and EP style binge at the moment, what type of flys are you interested in?

i dont post so often when the weather is nice either. Also my saltwater tying isnt very innovative or new. kinda just tie generic baitfish, clousers, candies gurglers etc.

Though I dont' fish the salt I love to read here and learn I tie for the salt just don't have much other than the table variety here in MO. I also adapt patterns for warm water purposes from you're slaty stuff. I would like to see this board moved up where more folks would see it I know I sometimes forget it's even here!! LOL

Like most of the guys who responded I tie mainly for the salt.Kinda zero in on redfish,trout& occasionly for stripers.Fish the ICW in NC.Handy to my home.

Started tying again after a 40 plus year layoff.Really enjoying it.Tying Clousers,decievers,jiggies,

silicone minnows,EPs.Started doing crease flies too.Im satisfied with the results.Not perfect by

any means but Im happy.

Occasionally I will bang out flies for a couple guys who fish for bass,crappies&bream.

Merry Christmas to all you sports...Semper Fi,60mikes

I love to sight cast for redfish, just don't get a chance to do it as often as I used to. Coincidentally, a friend treated me to a guided trip with him this past Monday. We caught 24 reds between 8 and 12 lbs and 9 reds that were twelve inches long - I don't usually count but he is an engineer and just has a habit for numbers and told me what the count was at the end of the trip.

I tied a box each of the sample flies you see here. We caught them on the brown/tan minnow, brown/tan bottom bouncer (hook point up fly at the top), brown and pink spoon fly and not pictured on the table but in the fish's mouth, my Franken Fish. The later which I found out has to be made more durable, the screw eyes pulled out of the foam head after three fish.

Kirk

FrankDec2010-2.jpg

DSC_0100-1.jpg

Panama, and anyone else that fishes Florida. Whats up with the winter trout fishing? As far as trophy hunters in Texas, winter is big buisiness for guides. Hows the winter trout fishing down there? I know you guys have monster trout down there but are there many anglers that go out to target them during the cold months or do you mainly fish for reds on the nice days?

Kirk.......New Orleans was the best for me and my bud this Nov. Big bunny strip flys and some custom Clousers made for a fantastic trip....here is a 30# redfish with a Mr. Bighead (basically a Clouser half/half tyed fat and with EZ Sparkle head.

post-18342-1293677150_thumb.jpg

Panama, and anyone else that fishes Florida. Whats up with the winter trout fishing? As far as trophy hunters in Texas, winter is big buisiness for guides. Hows the winter trout fishing down there? I know you guys have monster trout down there but are there many anglers that go out to target them during the cold months or do you mainly fish for reds on the nice days?

Before the cold snap and winds we have been having here along the Treasure Coast the trout bite was fantastic. Of course the season was closed here November and December, so the big ones were more than happy to take a fly you wanted a Red to take! The trout season opens here Saturday, so I probably won't have a nibble.The weather is getting warmer and the winds are dying down so I can get out again. The really cold temps make the trout head out to the deep channel of the ICW and hold so it can be a challenge to get anything interested in eating.