Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KennyD

Nor Vise for beginner

Is the Nor Vise a good vise for a beginner that never tied before? Looks like you can do a lot more with these.

Please give me your input.

Thanks.

go to the nor vise website and watch the videos. then decide

if a friend has one try it out. then decide

a skilled fly tyer with a stationary vise can do all the things that norm does, the skilled tyer just cant rotate the fly.

i certainly wouldnt pay for one.

I think a skilled tyer can do a heck of a lot more on a Nor-vise then not..

But and there is always a but.... HOW DAMN SERIOUS ARE YOU ABOUT TYING FLYS..

and I guess how would you feel paying for the nor-vise and not using it because you find you do not want to tye flys ..

I know that my first line will get on a few folks nerves.. that is OK..

You being a beginner at fly tying will most likely pick up the Nor-vise techniques very quickly and do extremely well..

Not being corrupted by other vises, or techniques..

Of course I own a nor-vise, I also know that my flies are a hell of a lot better now with the N-V then when I was using my stationary vise (s) and other rotating vise (s).

All the important elements of fly tying can be done better and faster with the N-V..

So it comes down to cost, lots of other vises cost a heck of a lot more and you get a heck of a lot less, and how adapt you maybe at tying flies and maybe how well you can absorb, the cost of not staying at the obsession of tying flys and having bought a Nor-vise..

Test it out, watch the videos, go to a fly tying club or show, sit down at one and see what you think.. then enjoy your choice no mater what it will be..

Is the Nor Vise a good vise for a beginner that never tied before? Looks like you can do a lot more with these.

the N-V is a lot of money for a beginner. I tied on one for several years and it doesn't "do a lot more" than other vises. It spins, that's about it.