Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MowestFlyfisher

Questions about my Clouser Minnows

Hey everyone i was just curious if the amount of deer hair and the length of deer hair was correct for a Clouser minnow

any suggestions on this fly is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance post-29965-1293081639_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone i was just curious if the amount of deer hair and the length of deer hair was correct for a Clouser minnow

any suggestions on this fly is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance post-29965-1293081639_thumb.jpg

Looks bloody good to me, maybe just keep the white underside a little shorter but as long as the fish don't care! Nice though makes me want to tie some clousers!

Looks bloody good to me, maybe just keep the white underside a little shorter but as long as the fish don't care! Nice though makes me want to tie some clousers!

Thanks i didn't think about that and yes i love tying them so easy and fun to tie

Same as above about the white. I like having some flash in the tail and wing (can't tell from the pic if there is any in there or not) and make sure you put some nail polish/head cement on the open spiral thread wraps over the white bucktail body to help it last cause that fly is sure to be eaten.

Good Clouser.

Kirk

I would agree with all of that as well...nail polish is for fly tyers not girls....I change the density of hair depending on the fly, there are also times that I put hackle feathers in the tail to make a half and half instead of a plain clouser....That fly looks like smallmouth catching goodness to me though...nice work

Thanks everyone didnt think about the nail polish on the body of the fly but it makes sense will have to add some to my clousers thanks kirk and asdf and now i do not have any krystal flash on this one i like to tie a few without flash that and i need to order more lol.

:crying:

i do not have any krystal flash on this one i like to tie a few without flash that and i need to order more lol.

:crying:

I've got some flash if you want it.... that and I just got an order fof 40lbs of a material very similar to icewing for blending with dubbing but it's in 6" length so I have a feeling I may be hording a bit of it for baitfish patterns and goody bags. That thing will be a killer on Pony Express around the time of the crappie fest. I really love the use of red thread there too very awesome.

Steve

I think the length of the hair depends on what species you're targeting. But, if I'm tying my clousers for bass I keep them longer because bass attack the head. If I'm tying them for trout I keep the hair short because trout attack from behind and you may get some short strikes. I think I read one time that those ideas were being debated. Now, I believe, if you're speaking of real big trout then long would not be a problem. Most of the trout I fish for are from 12 to 16 inches with the occasional 20 incher. A couple weeks ago my buddy and I were fishing for some escapees from private water that are all over 20 inches. He tied on a white and brown clouser with a few black hairs for a lateral stripe. I would guess it was about a size 10 and a 25 incher inhaled it. Length of hair didn't matter for that fish. We watched him come after it and nail the darn thing. It was very neat watching how the fish attacked. It was a very broad shouldered trout.

Bruce

The Clouser you've tied is likely the most popular form, but if you look at the cover of Bob Clousers book, you can see that the fly shown there is tied a bit differently.

Clousers Flies book

Notice how the belly hair extends forward at an angle away from the barbell eyes, and the top hair is tied very close to the hook eye. This is the way Clouser ties his Smallmouth versions and broadens the profile of the fly somewhat. If you tie them this way & with small size eyes, (barbell or bead chain) the fly will fish very much like a classic type streamer, not as much jigging action, more gliding, except with the hook pointed up. These can be very good producers in shallow water.

If you really want to learn about them, get a copy of the book, there's a ton of information in there & other patterns that Bob Clouser ties! :)

The Clouser you've tied is likely the most popular form, but if you look at the cover of Bob Clousers book, you can see that the fly shown there is tied a bit differently.

Clousers Flies book

Notice how the belly hair extends forward at an angle away from the barbell eyes, and the top hair is tied very close to the hook eye. This is the way Clouser ties his Smallmouth versions and broadens the profile of the fly somewhat. If you tie them this way & with small size eyes, (barbell or bead chain) the fly will fish very much like a classic type streamer, not as much jigging action, more gliding, except with the hook pointed up. These can be very good producers in shallow water.

If you really want to learn about them, get a copy of the book, there's a ton of information in there & other patterns that Bob Clouser ties! :)

Well i understand it is different than Bob's but i was taught this way and it seems to do pretty good to me and i was planning on ordering up some more books to add to my pitiful collection so thank you for the suggestion.

I've got some flash if you want it.... that and I just got an order fof 40lbs of a material very similar to icewing for blending with dubbing but it's in 6" length so I have a feeling I may be hording a bit of it for baitfish patterns and goody bags. That thing will be a killer on Pony Express around the time of the crappie fest. I really love the use of red thread there too very awesome.

Steve

Steve

Ill take just about any material so far just now starting to expand my materials. And the red thread i have seen some clousers with it and it made sense to me because it represents the gills and gill plates that and it just looks awesome