Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HastyPees

Your top trout flies

Hello, just wanted some ideas for a good top 10 rainbow trout flies, for fishing small lakes that have been stocked, I am still learning to fly fish so any ideas with be appreciated.

Id say wooly buggers (leeches) , nymphs, damsels, dragons, chronimods, scuds, and midges are all on a stillwaters trouts diet

For stocked rainbows, I've always had really good luck with the Light Cahill dry, B!tch Creek Nymph, and Bead Head Prince nymph. While you're fishing those, look under rocks and just above the water's surface to see what creatures are there for the trout to feed on. Learn the local food chain and tie accordingly. ;)

Elk hair caddis sz 12/14. Being a new caster means you'll have a less than desirable presentation and since most lake caddis are "travelers" that means you can get away with movement or a twitched retrieve. All this is totally open to conjecture as I am heavily under the influence of a Nyquil/Emergen-C / theraflu/ benadryl cocktail and am completely whacked out of my gourd and am contemplating the usefulness of a fuschia october cadddis skated for pike :bugeyes:

pull orange scuds on a sink tip from a kick tube. I found that most stocker fish are fed orange pellets so when you mix a know colore with a known food source like scuds the effects are usually tones of tight lines.

We have a small stocker pond close by and i can usually out fish the bait chuckers on this pattern.

Zebra midges

Buggers

Olive Scuds

Sulphers (dry 12-16)

Tellico Nymph ( 6-12)

Those seem to be the ones I fish the most. One of these will aways produce at least one or two fish on my waters.

revparabuzzers.png

Reversed parachute midge emerger

Fish a couple of these at the surface if they start showing.

Every emerging midge is a squiggle of nothing, escaping a silvery shuck.

Degrease the tippet.... wait for them to turn down... close mouth ( the fish's mouth, that is)

Fish on.