Fly Tying
Gaddy

Razor Blades

I just want to know what razor blades do you use for tying. I am looking for double sided razor blades ones you can bend in your hand for trimming deer hair to get the proper shape you want. I can only find double sided razors that are very stiff and won't bend. Do people get disposable razors and take the blade out of them? Test

I get mine from Wal-Mart in the men's grooming aisle. There are ten double-sided blades per package and I break them in half length wise. They are very sharp and very flexible.

I never thought of the dollar store. My walmart by my house didn't have them

I've seen them in the shaving sections of drugstores as well, although they tend to be much more expensive there. Since I typically use one blade per fly, I try to find the cheapest ones available.

Jeremy:

The razor blades are more often used for final "touch-up" trimming.; though some do use them to shape the body. I too first use scissors.

perchjerker

I've always used scissors on my deer hair?

Will have to try the blade and see if I like it??

It depends on what you're tying. If you're tying deer divers and what-not with very solid heads, there really is no substitute for a folded-over double-edged razor blade if you want a smooth and rounded contoured head.

In other words, double-edged razor blades are superior for shaving very tightly packed hair. They are also great for creating a flat bottom on deer hair bugs. Scissors are superior for trimming less densely packed hair, for trimming near areas like the tail where you don't want to accidentally lop something off, or for shaping certain areas like the collar on a Dahlberg or the face of a popper (both of which are less densely packed).

-- Mike

Dude you have to use GEM razor blades. The hair springs off of the blade they make trimming a breeze. I've used other blades but nothing compares to those GEM's in the grey packages.

does anyone know the company that makes the tool that holds the razor when cutting?