Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
balsa fly rod lures

Fly Rod Crankbaits

post-23934-1294428319_thumb.jpg post-23934-1294428333_thumb.jpg

The first lure is made of basswood,the second one is balsa.I made these in about 1993,and haven't made any since.

The lip on #1 is a part of the body, on #2 I think the lip came from a milk jug.

Nice, whats the purpose of the wire on the hook bend?

Im not Balsa but is suspect two things.

1: To help it sink because it is a "crabkbait". Is what I think.

2: To let the butt sink lower so when he does pull it for the actions maybe you'll get more action because it's has more water pushing on the lip.

Then again I don't really know so don't listen to me.

1: To help it sink because it is a "crabkbait". Is what I think.

2: To let the butt sink lower so when he does pull it for the actions maybe you'll get more action because it's has more water pushing on the lip.

possibly to keep it the right way up?

1: To help it sink because it is a "crankbait". Is what I think.

possibly to keep it the right way up?

The lead wire was added to bring them to balance,and to try to add some action.I remember making a number of different ones before I was somewhat happy with the results.The first one here was my take on a old lure,called a Weber pop and wiggle.I was given one of them years ago.It was in bad shape,so I dissected it.The one pictured is about 1/3 the size of the original.I was able to duplicate the size and shape easily,but without weight they just didn't work.Several months ago I found a photo of the original.

They had a willow leaf blade attached to the butt end.The one I was given,the blade had been removed.

Now I know and have bought blades to make more.They do need to be made of basswood.Shaping is done on a 1" belt sander working on the round of the front wheel.The hook on both of these is inserted on the top of the body ,not on the bottom.I think the Mustad ck52s will be the hook for this lure.The original used what I think was a Herters kinked shank hook,which was a heavier hook than a Mustad #33903.