Fly Tying
tonysurface

Matarelli whip finisher

Has anyone compared the Matarelli whip finisher to other "matarelli style" whip finishers? Is it worth the extra cost compared to whip finshers made by Dr. Slick, Orvis, etc?

I paid $3 or $4 for a matarelli style whip finisher like 6 years ago, rotary version. I can't see this being a case of you get what you pay for.

Well, I bought an indian one just to try it out. That specific WF was garbage, it started to jam itself to the pipe and the rotation suffered from it. The Dr. slicks though seems to be better off in quality.

I have used the Matarelli knock offs on occasion, and have not sen any difference. By all means, get in 'person' from a shop as opposed to ordering one. This way you can spin it to see whether or not the hook portion will spin freely in the tube. As long as it is made from quality materials, and spins freely, I see no reason why they won't work as well as the Matarelli.

By all means, get the large one as opposed to the small one as the large one will put a head on the smallest of flies just as well as the small one, and has the added advantage of doing the tails on a large bug, for which the small one just won't do the job. As the now defunct expression says: You get more bang for your bucks!

perchjerker

From my experience of over 30 years using the Matarelli it is worth every penny and is superior to the look-alikes. Firstly, the Matarelli is made from hand polished surgical grade stainless steel. The beads mounting the brass handle are silver soldered in place. And the angle of the hook is very carefully designed for the job. There is a difference in ease of use and ease of removing the tool determined by the angles of the wire. The choice of stainless steel and the hand polishing means the thread is never frayed by the tool allowing the knot to be properly formed without fraying and the consequent loose knot formation. And you don't have to go to the shop and check the Matarelli to see if it will turn or if the wire is smooth, every one is perfect when you get it. Let's see, $15.95/30 years = a true bargain.