Fly Tying
spey guy

beginner spey flies

hello everyone! my name is speyguy40 and i have been tying flies for about a year now. i have become quite good at what i tie. i mainly do trout flies, but have taken in interest in steelhead. i plan to tie some spey flies but i dont know what essential materials are necessary. if you could help me with this, i would really appreciate it

thanks in advance,

speyguy40

I would pick a few traditional spey patterns that you like and check out the material listing for each pattern.

You will need Bronze Mallard for the wings

flat and oval tinsel - small, medium, large - gold and silver

Crewel wool yarn or wool yarn

teal feathers for throats

Golden pheasant skin

spey hackle such as blue eared pheasant, whiting spey hackle, or schlappen

hooks - alec jackson, partridge, or blind eye with silk gut

That should be a good start.

Chaeck out the Lady Caroline, Purple King, Gold Green Reeach, and Silver Speal for starters.

Frank

A LOT OF PATIENCE! The hardest part of tying a spey fly is order of operations and tying in the wings. Once you get those down you're well. I recommend Shewey's book on spey flies for a good start and info.

speyguy

Frank said it very well!

Be sure to learn about using Quality Bronze Mallard. The ordinary bronze mallard can be an exercise in frustration when setting the wings. Google it for some directions.

I prefer to use wool dubbing rather than yarn but it is just a personal preference.

Have fun!!

Besides having a hard time finding proper wing material and being able to set them properly finding hackle has been a real challenge. Blue eared pheasant is pricey. There are other options such as "burning" marabou and schlappen feathers for hackling material.