Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started using the Stonfo a few months back. With out a doubt the most comfortable bobbin Ive ever used. Honestly I cant even hold a griffin any more.

I just use Griffins with the ceramic inserts. I use my hand to adjust thread tension, so I set them all just tight enough to keep the spool from unwinding while hanging; as a result, I only have to set them once when purchased and haven't felt a need to use anything else since they're relatively inexpensive, readily available, and I'm satisfied with their performance.

Mike

As an aside, after thinking about it, I too am surprised by the popularity of the Rite bobbin . . . .

I can see preferring it if it's more comfortable in the hand; however, for me, I can't see buying it just because you can adjust and set the thread tension. I find myself having to contantly adjust the tension on the thread as I tie a fly and what can be more quick and sensitive than the palm of your hand? Even a single material like deer hair for a streamer wing may require varying tension as you tie it in to secure it. Given that you should have very little thread out to maintain good thread control, I would think this tension-set feature would be a real hindrance rather than an advantage, if you've set the tension on the bobbin at anything other than loose.

Also, I see they came out with a version that's assists in doing half-hitches and whip finishes. I suppose the half-hitch feature is slightly useful for doing half-hitches at the head of a fly, but then again, I'm typically doing a whip-finish there, not half-hitches. Moreover, in order to execute a whip finish with this tool, you first have to have placed a half-hitch or two, because the tool does not maintain tension on the thread while executing a whip finish. In my mind, that is a significant disadvantage if you're required to execute half-hitches before you can execute a whip finish.

Anyway, those are the thoughts that come to my mind when I think of those bobbins . . . .

-- Mike

I have close to a dozen bobbins of various types but I find Griffin to be the best value of the ones I've tried. Unlike my other, mostly cheaper bobbins, it rarely if ever cuts/breaks thread, and for the $7 or so it costs is a pretty good value. I now use the cheaper bobbins for brassie wire, floss, etc.

Tom

I'm a Matarelli guy - have three or four of them. I've used them throughout my entire fly tying career, which is about 32 years now.

I just use the one that came with my kit works fine. My vise died out of my kit (mainly cause of all the flies i tied on it) but my bobbin is still going so chose other on the vote

I have a rite bobbin and just a standard ceramic bobbin (don't remember the brand). I thought I would like the rite bobbin, but I don't really use it that much. I like to tie several different patterns each night, and it is just a pain in the butt to have to unscrew the side of the rite bobbin every time I want to change thread. So, I usually end up using my no-name bobbin simply for that reason.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the grip and ceramic insert both fell off of my rite bobbin, so I wasn't impressed with it for that reason also.

I'm a Matarelli guy - have three or four of them. I've used them throughout my entire fly tying career, which is about 32 years now.

Ditto... I too am another "old school" Materilli guy. Love em' have a dozen or so that I've used for about 30 years... Definitely got my money's worth!

My main use bobbins are the norvise ones for most uses, ekich for thread smaller than 10/0 and rite for spinning deer hair, while the first ceramic ones are used for floss and wire.

I have the knockoff's that I use for wire, and was a big fan of the rite bobbins and have 2 of them. Now that I have the Nor bobbin, I think I would buy one even with a regular fixed vise