Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to make a comment about the norlander bobbin, I had one of norms earliest bobbins, it had an all metal tube instead of the all cermic tube he now offers. Well the tube finally said no mas.. And the solder joint failed.. I contcted norm and instead of having to buy a whole new bobbin norm provided me with the tube assembly for a small percentage of the whole setup. This is over 20 years old and just keeps on tying flies. Thanks again norm.

Way back in the 1900's I purchased a Nor-Vise from Norm at the Marlboro Show... probably '89...

NO regrets and NO complaints...

Over the years I've "up-graded" to the lever jaws and a few other minor things but... it goes on and on like the Energizer bunny...

A few months back, I was cleaning off some grime and the main body fell on the hard basement floor...

As Murphy's Law would dictate, it missed the strip of carpet, landed on the concrete, on an edge, and left a cosmetic ding...

I called "customer service" to order a replacement and, of course, spoke with Norm... he sent me a replacement on the house...

Like I said earlier... NO regrets and NO complaints! and Norm's "automatic bobbins" continue to do what they do SO WELL!

P2080216.jpg

I just received a standard sized Rite ceramic over the weekend. This is a very nice bobbin. I have Tiemco ceramics (standard and heavy duty) and Stonfo adjustables. Which one is best? It's hard to say. They all have their uses. I have broken thread a few times on the Stonfo adjustable and it wasn't due to tension. The hardened steel tip is nice but there are sharp areas on the outside lip that will cut the thread. I do use emery cloth to help with this. I think Stonfo should have used a ceramic tube instead of steel. I still think the Stonfo is great a bobbin, I just use it for heavier thread and use the Tiemcos and the Rite for 8/0 and smaller.

Recently got a Matarelly but the legs twist with what I think is a regular size spool pushing them out of the spool holes. Am I using a wrong size spool?

PETE! What's going on. I'm just got my 3rd Nor-bobbin a few months ago.... Ties airheads beautifully

DSC09549.jpg

just curious what bobbins are being used on a regular basis.. please feel free to vote for more than one.. and if i left any off the list tell the brand.. i am using 4 norvise autobobbins, a renzetti, a matarelli, 2 rite (ceramic and magnum). a s&m , and i have several knockoffs..

I started using a Stonfo a couple weeks ago, I tie mostly deer hair poppers so I need a heavy duty bobbin that I can really cinch down some 200d GSP thread with & the Stonfo does it, looks a lot like a Rite, but I am not familiar with Rite so I may be wrong, but the Stonfo is about the same price & I can highly recommend using it with GSP and deer hair

I picked up a C&F for an extra $5 on a Craigslist deal. I don't think I would ever pay the $45 retail, but I do love the weight and balance. The foam insert that keeps the thread from backing out is a useful feature as well.