Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Griffin ceramic tip ones. I have 3 of them, want 1 more (I only use 4 colors of thread). Great tools, a huge improvement from the cheapo 2.99 one I started with.

Old J Dorin with a beveled hole about 3/8ths of an inch back from the tip. No threader needed. Just push the thread through the hole and out the tip.

Typically I use the on clearence type, of th 5 I've gotten this year I've only pitched one, losing 7 cents. The most expensive one I got was 37 cents

I honestly don't know what different bobbins I have. Only two different ones stand in my memory, a couple of Rite bobbbins I got to handle Spider web thread, which is about 20 denier (I guess) and two S&M bobbins I recently bought off Ebay for a pretty good price...they're the long shaft bobbins and work fine, but I'd rather have the shorter shaft ones.

Most anything that's on sale is what I get. Got a number of them, I have to hate to change bobbins when I change thread. Pearsalls silk thread requires a smaller bobbin, of course, and I have a couple of them also. I don't remember where I got them, but they're not ceramic lined.

I use a variety of bobbins but reach more and more for any with a solid ceramic tube. I save the bobbins with inserts (ruby) for heavy and tough thread but for trout flies I always grab the ceramic jobbies. I like the ceramic because they're so smooth and durable (as long as they're not dropped) but because the tube fits into the hook gap on most hooks and allows much better thread control for me.

I currently use an assortment of 8 bobbins. My favorite one is from Griffin. I recently purchased three bobbins from eBay that are crap. I am planning on buying the Marc Petitjean bobbin soon.

I have a Renzetti ruby tip bobbin from WAY back when I first started tying. Its been used enough that the bead was starting to fall off so I had to tack it back in place. I really wish I could grab a couple more as backups. I have tried a couple others but I really like the renzetti

I have accumulated a few over the years. My all time favorite is the original J. Doirin with the hole for the thread up near the tip of the tube. Sorry that I didn't buy more of them when they were still manufactured. I just bought a Rite at the fly tying show in November and like it a lot, especially with the 12/0 Veevus thread I have been playing with for the last few months. I also have a couple of Griffins and a couple of reproductions of the J. Doirin since I like to have several spools of thread on bobbins handy. Oh, almost forgot that I have a couple of the Petitjean bobbins also. They are nice but just too expensive and can be problematic with really fine threads like the above mentioned Veevus.

Steve

Since I first posted to this thread about three years ago, I have added a couple of Griffin ceramic bobbins to my collection. They seem to work well with Danville flymaster and Uni spools. I also picked up a ceramic bobbin from Wasatch specifically for use with the small Pearsall's silk spools. It works great. I have tried to find another but they are scarce as hen's teeth. I still like the Matarelli for the slightly smaller spools of Benecchi 12/0 and Griffith's 14/0 threads.

I use several different brands, Tiemco, Griffin, Anglerhause and some knockoffs that I got at a show a number of years ago in Chicago.

The thing I look for is how they fit in my hand. I have used threads for 12.0 to 210 denier, not really loyal to one brand. The only requirement for me for a bobbin is a ceramic tube for the thread. A metal tube is fine for wire.

I presently have a dozen bobbins loaded with different colors of thread plus what is in my travel bag. The only complaint I have out of any of them is the squeaking out of the Tiemco's.

Thankyou! It's the only problem i have too! Have to keep rubbing your nose in between the brass ends to get the wax from your nose on them to stop the sqeeking!