Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trez

Home school fly tying classes

Hey there guys. I'm setting up to teach free fly tying classes to a home schooling group and am looking for tools and maybe some hooks. If you have some extras or ones you no longer use, would you consider sending them to me so that I will have enough.

I have lots of materials that I am donating and 3 sets of tools for them to use but will need a few more sets. I want to keep this as low a cost to them as possible (for materials and tools, I am not charging), so that any of the kids that want to can join. I'm assuming that I will have about 10 kids. I don't have deep pockets so I need the tools to be free or cheap. I could pay for shipping. Let me know and I will PM you my contact info. The tools only need to be functional, not new or high end, just whatever you might have.

It has been a few years since I taught classes and I no longer have my class notes, so if any others are teaching kids and would be willing to share their lesson plans that would also be a blessing. The kids range from 7-15.

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Trez Hensley

Utyer,

Thanks so much for the sylabus, it will be nice to not have to start from scratch.

How about low cost tools, any thoughts. I was hoping some of you might have some things laying around that you no longer use. If you do, let me know what you want for them. I am trying to keep this free or really cheap for the kids, yet my funds are not doing too great either, so any help is appreciated.

I can probably send you a few boxes of hooks. PM me your address and what patterns you'll be tying and I'll see what I can come up with .smiley-char092.gif

I'll be teaching a variety of flies. Wooly buggers, San Juan worms, bucktails, pheasant tail nymphs, dry flies, brassys, Elk hair Caddis, to name a few. It depends a lot on what supplies I have and the group, as to how fast they are learning.

A PM is on its way!

Thanks,

Trez

I gave most of my unused stuff to my sister's nephew that past christmas.

I have tons of copper wire from extension cords... if your interested, I can send you some, let me know.

ETA: I just came across two old school S&M bobbins I forgot about. I had picked them up on ebay because I wanted to try them. I found they were pretty rough on the thread and I stopped using them almost immediately... they are yours if you want them!

I have 5 whip finish tools and 3 pairs of scissors I can let you have, all are new and are surplus to needs, they are not top of the line by any means but will be great for learning. Send an addy and I will mail them, I will also look to see if I have some spare hooks, good luck with the teaching.

Steve B

(fly tryer)

Anything you have for me would be great. Inexpensive doesn't mean that they won't work. They should be helpful.

Thanks,

Trez

PMs are on the way to both of you...

I was asked for specifics, so I have e-mailed them and will list them here as well.

What I am still in need of is a total of 7 more vises (I have 3), 3 more pairs of scissors (I have 7), 4 more bobbins (I have 6), 4 bodkins (I have 6), 2 whip finishing tools ( I have 8) , and more hooks to give out.

I've made other tools such as dubbing twisters and could make the bodkins if I don't get any.

The list of what I have includes what I have been told is on it's way.

If you have any of these items I'd appreciate whatever you might send my way.

MORE DETAILS

The group said I should charge a small materials fee to help with incidentals so we agreed to charge $8 per kid for materials which will allow me to buy a few odds and ends that might come up during the class. This is a once a week class for 8 weeks so this works out to be a dollar per kid per class so it shouldn't be enough to exclude anyone. If so, I'll wave it......

Just so you know, I already have nice tools to work with and if the class doesn't continue in the future (after this first 8 weeks), I will donate the tools I get to the students that want to continue tying. This is not for personal gain other than the joy of getting to teach and pass it on.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

More proof that home school kids learn more and better! When are you starting? PM me. I can help with materials.

Classes start the 25th of this month and continue for 8 weeks. I have most of the materials I need but will pass along to the kids any materials that get sent. The extra stuff they get will be appreciated I'm sure.

PM on its way,

Thanks

It seems from what I have been told is on it's way, that I will have all the tools I need except a few more vises and hooks.

If anyone has either vises or hooks that they could do without let me know.

Otherwise I will take advantage of an offer to buy the rest of what I need at a discount.

Thanks to all!

Trez

First of all, I want to thank you for doing this. I'm a home school student (senior, will be pursuing a degree in either fisheries or environmental science come fall) and an avid tier. Often times home school kids are not allowed to do things like baseball, football, and basketball once they get to middle school. Just not enough interest for rec leagues to have teams in that age group. Instead they have to find other extra-curricular opportunities such as this. I wish I had something extra to send you, but I do some occasional classes myself and need all the extra tools I have. Check out www.jsflyfishing.com . They have vises for as cheap as $6-$8. Maybe you could offer the kids a chance to buy a tool kit for x-amount of dollars to help fund it all. They would have the opportunity to buy a tool kit for less than retail value, and you wouldn't have to spend as much $.

bigdewy and John Ski,

I got your packages. They will be helpful and are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Trez