Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Hopper/Dropper Swap

That's perfect, PK! And, hey, it's great to have you back in one of my swaps! Where you been hiding?

Take Care

BB

Let's see, last April, ruptured disc in the c-spine, then physical therapy, then goose season, then duck season, then deer season, duck season, late goose season, and here we are!

Good grief. Sorry about the ruptured disc. Not good.

Good deal on the hunting seasons. Wood Ducks? Mallards? If you've got more barred wood duck or mallard wings than you know what to do with, you could always share some with the "meister! :rolleyes:

Take care

BB

If you've got more barred wood duck or mallard wings than you know what to do with, you could always share some with the "meister! :rolleyes:

Take care

BB

Good grief, what kind of sharpshooter do you think I am? :bugeyes: And the mallard wings need to be saved for (get ready for the fly tying heresy) the new pup's bird training. :devil:

Oh, BTW, the floater is a damselfly, and I'll be needin' your address yet again, in case I can't find it from the last several times.

- OPK (Original PK)

post-10599-1298078571_thumb.jpgPurple Damsel.

This work for a floater? Hairline purple pearl core braid, purple craft foam, parachute post of Uni Glow Yarn for night fishing, and hackle (badger maybe, I forget?). Oh, yeah, round foam eyes I'm leaving white so you can color them with whatever color Sharpie you want.

The chironomid is a chromie, at least that's what I call them.

-OPK (I've seen posts by an imposter "PK")

Two sets of flies have come in and they are both very nice sets. One is from BeginnerFlyTyer and the other is frm Trout Patrol. (Interesting packaging, Corey. Got to keep it skinny to get through Canadian postal service.)

It looks like we have fun out of swappers for this one at 9 plus the "'meister." Ten total swappers. How do you guys feel about closing it at that number? And those who haven't sent theirs yet and just send in 9 sets. You won't be getting one of your own back. I'll send back the extras that BeginnerFlyTyer, Trout Patrol, and anyone else who has already put theirs in the mail.

Take care

BB

ok here is what I came up with pardon the poor pics and simplicity of these flies I hope you all like them I have done really well with these in the past year

my hopper is a cicada

post-10925-1298692089_thumb.jpg

and my dropper is a realistic grub this thing catches everything

post-10925-1298692109_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me, Riff. What is the body of the cicada? And what about the grub?

What I'm looking for is how you connect the hopper & dropper & something that will really catch the 'gills.

Take care

BB

ok the cicada body is orange chenille with an orange hackle palmered over then trimmed to give the look of a bigger bug as for the grub it is 5 pieces of 50# mono 4 of which are fused together with a lighter and tied to the hook top then the 5th is tied to the bottom thread is uni mono fine legs are 6# mono coloring is amber black red and brown sharpies then coat the entire fly with Sally Hansens

as for connecting them I use a perfection loop on the grub and 18 to 20 inches up I tie it to the hook bend

BB did you receive my flies

Sure did, BFT. I acknowledged yours and Trout Patrol's flies in the same post. Feb 25. Very nice set. Ants & Woolys. Thanks much for participating, and again, a very nice set of flies.

Take care

BB

ok .... so i am gonna send out 9 sets of flies on tuesday

That's fine, Dave. I'm going to close this swap so that can be a done deal for everyone.

Take care

BB

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED!

We have left this swap open long enough. Looks like there is only limited interest in doing a Hopper/Dropper, but since no one else has signed up, and because flies are beginning to be sent in, I'm going to go ahead, as of now, and close this swap at 10, counting me. So that means that each swapper will need to send in 9 sets of flies. You won't be getting one of your own back.

Thanks to all who signed up. Again, be sure to send a Self-Addressed STAMPED (no mailing labels please) envelope. Also be sure to rig your flies with leader, either full length, or shorter than full length, at your choice to show how you would rig it for Hopper/Dropper fishing. I didn't say this in the original post, but if you guys would be willing, I think it would be helpful if you would post here on this thread, the name of the knots you would use. What knots did you use to attach the flies to the leader? What knots did you use to attach the dropper to the hopper?

I usually tie a Pitzen knot to attach my flies to the leader, and I'm still debating several ways to dropper leader to the hopper. I'll let you know when I decide on that.

Thanks

BB

Hope the packaging worked out. I didn't want my rigging to go to waste or for you to get a big mess to try and figure out. These are my first few swaps trying to keep the expense of shipping and packing down. Would you recommend I continue this style or should I make some changes?

Can't wait to get some of those nice flies. This is going to be a great swap.