Fly Tying
Pike-Hunter

Nor-Vise

Does anybody use a Nor-Vise or have comments about them? I'm just curious how people feel about them and how well they work. I've seen the guy that makes them at a few fly tying shows and he has a pretty cool presentation but they are still a little spendy for me.

you are going to get a lot of opinions on this.. some good some bad.. but if you are already balking at price try one before you buy it.. never want buyers remorse.. especially when it can be avoided.

take your time and try lots of vises before deciding.. heck i wanted a renzetti because i was

told it was great.. when i tried it.. i found it awkward and constantly needing adjustment..

do your self a favor.. try as many vises as you can before you decide on anything..

you won't regret that..

btw.. i have a norvise.. i enjoy it.. does it do everything.. not yet for me as i am still learning how to tap its potential.. but i like it..

Any vise is a very personal choice.

I have had one for about 20 years now. It is my main vise, and I am very happy with mine. I also use the fine point conversion jaws and have had Norm tap in the friction screw to my origional vise. At the same time he also swapped my aluminum arbors out for the brass arbors. The vise spins better with the heavier brass arbors.

I do spin dubbing with the vise, spin on materials, ribs, and hackle (mostly with the inline jaws. I have worked in tackle shops, and have had access to and tried out a lot of different vises, and I still keep my Nor-vise.

There are many other vises on the market that are true rotary vises (aligning the hook shank along the center of spin.) There are also a large group of vises available that rotate. As for quality, and longevity, I would say its on a par with the HMH, Renzetti, or Dyna-King vises.

As for the price, the vise itself is less than a rotary Regal, The Dyna-King Barracuda, the Renzetti Presentation 2000 or the HMH Standard. Each of these manufacturers sell vises at both lower, and higher prices than the Nor-vise. A Nor-vise with a base, and auto-bobbin is still $100 less than a Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer, or Renzetti 4000. I find the auto-bobbin very helpful when using the Nor-vise. This bobbin is one of only two that will rewind the thread back onto the spool. It does require that you load your thread from the origional spools onto the spools for the bobbin, but I haven't found that to be a hugh problem.

I tied on a Nor-Vise for about two and a half years and ended up hating it. It destroyed expensive hand made salmon hooks, the "fit and finish" was really poor for the amount of money a N-V costs. The original set of jaws that came with my N-V were tensioned with a freaking rubber band and once it began to stretch out, it wouldn't hold a hook. I complained to Norm about the jaws and he promised to send me a fix for the problem. His "fix" was a piece of rubber tubing.

Yes, the basic Nor-Vise is comparable to other quality vises in price, but there is always something you "need" to add to it and this is where the real cost of a Nor-vise begins to add up. If you add all of the options available you're pushing the total investment into LAW territory and the Nor-Vise is no LAW. I'm not suggesting you buy a LAW because I don't think they're being made any longer, but an HMH or a Dyna-King are superior IMHO.

My experiences have been positive with the Nor Vise. I have bought some add ons. The Bobbin and the midge jaws. Neither were required for use just things I added over time. I have had nothing but good experiences with Norman Norlander and his company. Solid tool that is well made.

The VISE is my VICE...

I have a "shameless collection" of kinetic sculptures... they all hold hooks in their own special way...

The Law, J-Vise, and Petitjean are in a visually artistic class of their own... IMHO

The HMH is no frills form and function work horse...

The robust Barracuda is old school big block brute force [i've broken many a brittle Tiemco in those jawz]...

But I digress...

The Nor-Vise employs a unique and brilliant true rotary design... in my view, it stands alone as a "Fly Lathe"...

I rotate through my vises and always enjoy their individual subtleties... Nor-Vise is always a refreshing change of pace...

I bought it from Norm at the Marlboro show back in the late 80's and it's still going strong...

I've NEVER damaged any hooks and I'm having trouble grasping the earlier comment regarding "destroying" salmon hooks... go figure?!

Every time I see Norm demo I come away with new techniques that are hard [or impossible] to achieve on anything else...

Over the years, several modifications have occurred...

The "rubber band" that was mentioned earlier was actually an industrial "o" ring... designed NOT to hold the hook but to keep the jaws open for hook insertion... This "o" ring has been replaced with a stainless compression spring that does the same job and never wears out...

Fit and finish... NO problems noted... comparable with any high end vise out there...

If you want that "new car look" the brass requires polishing every now and again but it looks so good when it shines...

Price, competitive... and you don't need all the whistles and bells but they are there if you decide that you do...

The Nor-Vise jaws were originally tightened via expanding "thumb screw"... that design was up-graded years ago with an effective cam lever that holds like a pit bull... tightening two flat jaw surfaces together... able to bend the hook in their grasp... without damaging the hook...

My advice would be to get some "hands on" experience to see for yourself... take a proper "test ride"...

I very much enjoy my Nor-Vise and WILL NOT be parting with it any time soon...

It's running in some FAST company and holds it's own NICELY!

Different strokes for different folks...

Canon06April06019.jpg

I thought I'd chime in here.

I have been tying since the early 80's, I purchased my Nor Vise about three weeks ago and have grown to love it. I by no means am an expert tier, nor perfect with my Nor Vise...yet. However, I can honestly state that the only regret I have (so far) is that I waited so long to purchase this vice.

The Nor Vise holds the large size hooks I tie on. I primarily tie saltwater patterns and have learned to utilize the rotary function of the N-V to my advantage. It speeds up a few steps in many of the flies I tie and I LOVE the retracting function of the N-V bobbin.

I would heed the advice of the other posters, in that you should get time on a vice before you purchase. I didn't and was terrified that I might not enjoy the N-V. Luckily, I love it.

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think it is a vice I would really enjoy using and it sounds like it is a quality product. I tie a whole range of flies from delicate size 20 trout flies to size 8 smallie nymphs up to 4/0 pike flies and from what I've seen the main advantage of the nor-vice is its ability to spin the thread on the hook quickly. Does that spinning technique apply the thread lightly enough to not break the small hooks but tight enough to bind together those big bulky flies?

The NV is something I've contemplated buying for a long time but I think it will make a nice present to myself when I graduate college. :yahoo:

The "spinning technique" simple rotates the fly like a piece of stock on a lathe...

Thread tension is applied by the "user"... dragging the lower palm or pinky across the bobbin to control the desired drag setting...

Tiny hooks = Ultra light pressure [or snap!]

Small hooks = light pressure

Large hooks = more pressure

appropriate to the task at hand... with the right tool and proper thread...

90% of the time I prefer... and have developed a profound need... to tie with Norm's Automatic Bobbin... It's BRILLIANT!

The draw backs are minimal [iMHO] but a source of annoyance for the casual critic...

Most of my tying involves light weight to fine mono and a loaded spool will last me a LONG time...

Like my VISE collection, I have an assortment of BOBBINS and Norm's is typically my "go to" tool of choice...

The more you use it, the better you like it, and the more you use it...

If I'm tyin' itsy bitsy teeny weeny and using spider thread diameters, I'll use my Ekich Ultimate Bobbin that pays out the thread at a calibrated tension that's perfect for ultra-fine applications... NO palming the spool required...

My larger salt water buck tail endeavors require max tension to get the "splayed out" effect...

Most of my tyin' is for salt water and Norm's amazing AUTOMATIC BOBBIN is tops on my list with NO regrets and NO reservations...

It's the perfect and logical compliment to the Fly Lathe [or any vise]... the right tool for the right job...

Mr and Mrs Norlander didn't raise no fool for a son... I'm sure glad that he went into engineering!

P2080216.jpg

I played with the nor-vise for the first time yesterday. I tied a couple dozen flies on it and found out I really didn't like it. I don't think I could get used to it and probally would not use the functions it was intended for. But I have meet several people that swear by it but it just was not the vise for me