Fly Tying
Wally Bear

Made the Plunge Taday

I finally went down to a fly shop in a neighboring town and picked up my first vise and tools along with what I needed to start tying some wooly buggers. I settled on a Thompson vise because they have a lifetime warranty and if the jaws wear out a new set is only $15. The owner of the shop was really helpful with helping me pick out a vise and was adamant that it was the best choice.

Well I got home to late tonight to get started without feeling rushed so I will start tomorrow when I feel relaxed and have time to sit for a spell. I am starting with the wooly bugger and will stay with it until I am satisfied I have it down pat, then I will move on to the next pattern.

Welcome and good tying. The vise is a good choice for a beginner. I used one for a very long time. Have fun with it. We are only limited by our imaginations when tying

Kevin

welcome to the the world of fly tying. Once you get the wooly buggers to where you like i would recommend checking out youtube. There are alot of good instructional videos on there and they have a ton of different patterns to try. Not only do they have step by step of the patterns themselve but also alot of good videos on how to say whip finish, or twist dubbing, apply hackle.... the list goes on forever. anyways good luck and happy tying.

If there's a group of fly tyers in your area that meet regularly to tie flies, I suggest you join them, if you are able to. Most tyers are more than willing to share their knowledge, and this is a great way to learn to tie flies, and to learn about fishing in general . At some time during these sessions, cartching fish comes up. You will get new ideas about where to go for fish, and how to deal with some of the situations you mayl encounter.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the world of tying! :D

For learning to tie i would recommend you learn by techniques, not just patterns. Learn what the materials, as in what you can do with them and how they react in the water. This way you will be creative and knowledgeable to look at a pattern and figure out how to tie it with out step by step. All of this takes time, but its great fun to learn, just keep at it and it will get easier and easier. :)

I recommend you reading and watching as many video and books as you take also.

I would recommend this book for any beginner -The basic manual of fly-tying, fundamentals of imitations. by Paul N. Fling & Donald L. Puterbaugh.

It teaches you technique not just patterns. Its all step by step with great instruction. You can probably find this book cheap.

Be sure this site is booked marked, as it has tons of great info and friendly helpful people. :D

Tight ties

Johnny U.

I would suggest reading anything AK Best-great practical tips/ you tube for instructional videos and always keep an open mind when it come to tying.

have fun!

marc

Well, I have been all over the net reading and watching videos. I bet I have close to 20 hours in videos under my belt in the last 4 days. I can see that this is going to get expensive fairly quick. I have tied about 2 dozen black wooly buggers and decided that I need to move onto other colors and have about a $40 order I need to make just to tie more wooly buggers. I am worried about what is going to happen when I am tying a couple dozen patterns. LOL this is fun.

Well, I have been all over the net reading and watching videos. I bet I have close to 20 hours in videos under my belt in the last 4 days. I can see that this is going to get expensive fairly quick. I have tied about 2 dozen black wooly buggers and decided that I need to move onto other colors and have about a $40 order I need to make just to tie more wooly buggers. I am worried about what is going to happen when I am tying a couple dozen patterns. LOL this is fun.

Wally, yes it is fun. If I could offer a little advice. If you have a local fly shop, go there and pick your materials. If you have a buddy who ties take him with you. Have someone show you what to look for when buying materials. I am doing a small tying class for some of my friends. They get excited real easy and start buying alot of stuff they will never use. I have cautioned them on this so they don't waste their money. Also one of the guys has been mail ordering his materials. Some of what he is getting is good quality, some is not. This is why I recomend taking a buddy to the local shop and have someone help you pick out the best materials for the flies you will tie. For me personally I also choose to support the small local fly shops. You will often get the best advice from them. Good luck with your tying.

MWL :headbang:

Wally, yes it is fun. If I could offer a little advice. If you have a local fly shop, go there and pick your materials. If you have a buddy who ties take him with you. Have someone show you what to look for when buying materials. I am doing a small tying class for some of my friends. They get excited real easy and start buying alot of stuff they will never use. I have cautioneder them on this so they don't waste their money. Also one of the guys has been mail ordering his materials. Some of what he is getting is good quality, some is not. This is why I recomend taking a buddy to the local shop and have someone help you pick out the best materials for the flies you will tie. For me personally I also choose to support the small local fly shops. You will often get the best advice from them. Good luck with your tying.

MWL :headbang:

I am laid up and waiting on a surgery. I made the trip down to the closest shop we have around here which is about 30 minutes away. That round trip kills me. When I bought my stuff, I spent a half hour talking with the shop owner and he set me up with the very basics. He was very helpful and did not push anything on me. He understands my health situation and made a deal to mail stuff up to me when I needed it. Right now all I have is stuff to tie black wooly buggers and want to get a handful of colors to tie a variety of wooly buggers. I also need some lead wire that I did not get the first time.

Yeah it does add up pretty quick. But the nice thing is that that materials you buy should last some time. And down the road you will get to a point where you see a pattern you want to tie and you already have all the materials you need to tie it.

And down the road you will get to a point where you see a pattern you want to tie and you already have all the materials you need to tie it.

Ha! I have over a couple of grand sunk in materials and I'm still waiting for that to happen more often than not.

-- Mike

I myself made the "plunge taday"and ordered a fly tying kit from J Stockard.it is there cheapest one and it will be intresting to see how it turns out.I know one thing for sure it will be

alot easier than tying flys in a shop vice with no bobbin.thats how i have been doing it for awhile now.I was just thinking about buying all the supplies to make loads of wooly buggers

when I realized that I would be able to buy my chenille at a sewing outlet by the skien for a better bargain then by the three yard spool.I think I need to find a place where I can

purchase fly tying material bulk to practice my art.

And down the road you will get to a point where you see a pattern you want to tie and you already have all the materials you need to tie it.

Ha! I have over a couple of grand sunk in materials and I'm still waiting for that to happen more often than not.

-- Mike

lol You wernt supposed to tell him that i was trying to give the guy some hope

I wish I'd STOPPED at a couple of grands worth of materials-and I'm still adding to my stocks even though I could pro :wallbash: bably open a shop on all the stuff I already got!