Fly Tying
flytyman1

Got an Idea for a Project Healing Waters Swap!

:help:

I've got a great idea for a Project Healing Waters swap. Would someone personally involved with Project Healing Waters please respond so i could give them the idea and details to find out how to make it work?

flytyman1

Edited by flytyman1

:unsure:

Need some swapper information/ feedback?

The way it would go is we get 30 tiers (hopefully) to tie 24 flies, 2 patterns 12 flies each. Then we get 12 fly boxes, all the same kind of course, and divide the flies into 12 boxes of 60 flies (2 from each tyer). Instead of the flies being mailed back to the swap participants we then donate those 12 boxes of flies to Project Healing Waters to be either auctioned off for the proceeds or distributed to 12 disabled military service men who are part of The Project Healing Waters Project. I'm going to check with the local fly shops, Bass Pro Shop and Cabela' to see if they would donate the fly boxes. We would need only swappers/tiers who could make the deadline that is decided upon. Please post some feedback and let me know what you think of the idea, and any suggestions?

flytyman1

I would love to be involved in something like this so if there is something i can help out with let me no the only thing is the pattern if its a pattern i can't do then i might not be able to pull off the due date in a timely matter I'm still pretty much new at fly tying and i haven't done the hair staking or the poppers and the foam fly's. Coming from a military family and have served my self I'm always up to helping my brothers and sisters out.

Thanks great post man

Good idea! Sounds workable. What types of flies? I would think you'd have to pick some fly types (Wet, dry, terrestrial, etc.) and let the tiers pick the patterns they feel comfortable tying in those categories. For instance, I wouldn't be too comfortable tying deer hair patterns, but would be ok with

Dry's and wets. The time requirement is a big item also. If you're not comfortable tying a certain type

of pattern, it's going to take you longer.

I don't think you'd have much trouble getting someplace like Cabela's or Bass Pro to donate

boxes. But the big box stores like that usually have a system in place for applying for donations.

I think Bass Pro has a 3-6 month lead time. They all varie. If time is an issue, you might be better hitting up smaller outfits.

I would definitly be interested in participating in something like this, and I'm sure many others would, too.

if you want shorter lead times go to the manufacture of boxes. As long as you got documentation that your donation is valid I have seen just a couple day turnaround in approval

Check with J Stockard as well for Fly Boxes, They donated boxes for the Casting for recovery Swap that was run a little while ago.

Count me in, just give us an idea of when and what kind of patterns you will need.

I am in.

Might I suggest keeping the three broad catagories (Wet, dry, terrestrial), 10 tyers in each and let the tyer pick which catagory they are comfortable doing. That would also give you a nice well rounded box. Great idea.

:thumbsup:

I got in touch with the Mid-Atlantic Director for Project Healing Waters. They are going to get back to me and give me the logistics and information I will need to set up the swap/fly and fly box donation. Then we can decide how many boxes of flies we are going to donate and the quantity of flies in each. My thoughts before talking to them might seem a little big, but I'm thinking 12 boxes of flies with at least 60 flies per box. The fly types I would be looking for from the swappers would be dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, terrestrials with maybe a few streamer thrown in also. Once I get the details straightened out with the tackle expert from Project Healing Waters I will post the swap details and we can then go from there. Project healing Water is having a Spruce Creek, PA event from July 31 to August 3, 2011. That is the event we are looking at to donate the flies to. This would give all the swappers time to tie up their flies and get them sent out to me for seperating and putting into the fly boxes. I'm hoping we can get a large turnout of swappers for this event.Maybe even some swappers would want to tie up more than one pattern for the swap. I already have some local tyers who would like to tie and donate some flies also if everything comes together OK. I'm also checking into some suppliers to donate the fly boxes. Thank you to everyone who has responded so far to this post with information and suggestions for the swapand where to get the fly boxes. I will keep you all posted as to how this whole thing is going to work once I talk more to their contact. :scooter:

Yours truly,

flytyman1

Count me in, but the only thing I'm any good at is wet flies and soft hackles. :rolleyes: Can do cork poppers, but take forever. <_< <_<