Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutbuster

dutch pikeday

Hi there,

It's been a while, but I went out for pike yesterday.

I thought it might be a good idea to show you guys how we fish for pike here in "windmill country" Holland, the dutch polder.

mjofpc.jpg

getting ready to launch

ra6fdk.jpg

some canals are very shallow, too shallow for the minn kota

260a51c.jpg

but then around the corner, a nice stretch

2z73bxc.jpg

a nice one that got the fly

2i6e8nm.jpg

the kind of flies we fish

34tejo3.jpg

Buddy Roel also got lucky

I hope you liked this small report

~ floris :)

I wanna go....... :headbang: Good report and I love the fly tied on the worm hook, would really like to see some more of that kind of stuff.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The fly works pretty good, it has a walk the dog kind of action only just under the surface.

thanks,

~ floris

what size worm hook is that?

what size rod are you casting do you use a pike line?

i have trouble casting with a wire leader like that

hey there,

It's gamakatsu worm 34 I believe it's either a 5/0 or 6/0 (biggest), I cast a 7wt rod with a 8 wt line Cordtland precision pike (it's a pretty good line)

the wire is flexonit

Cool report! Thanks!

I've always wanted to catch a pike...will have to make time someday to get out of California to do so!

Todd

Cool report! Thanks!

I've always wanted to catch a pike...will have to make time someday to get out of California to do so!

Todd

the way they attack the fly is awesome

wow, the epitome of a slue shark!! great fish

Travelled into Calgary a couple of times, fishing the Bow, and went south, livingstone, oldman, castle, crow, and then on to BC .. you're living in trout paradise :yahoo:

shhhhh dont tell any one lol. Any time your in Calgary i'll take you out. That goes for any one who doesnt live in Calgary on this forum.

shhhhh dont tell any one lol. Any time your in Calgary i'll take you out. That goes for any one who doesnt live in Calgary on this forum.

Hi Voodoo,

Thanks for the offer, and maybe....

same for you or any member of this community off course, whenever you're around Rotterdam.

a buddy will probably be over in september to fish the Bow for a week.

We're looking for a floating device to rent, a pontoon would be great, if you have any directions where to look or go ?

thanks,

~ floris

Sweet pictures!! ive been tying pike flys latley, and really like yours, make sure to post pics of your flys i like them

i'll drop a few lines and see if any one bites

that would be great ! :D

Sweet pictures!! ive been tying pike flys latley, and really like yours, make sure to post pics of your flys i like them

I will try to shoot some more pics of some flies, and maybe a step by step if I have the time

I have spent time on the bow when I lived in banff many moons ago. we used to float from below the springs where we worked to canmore long before it became popular. I also used to walk the trail from the go;f course down. I would have the whole river to myself and the scenery was stunning. I used to stop at one spot and walked up the skree slope and have lunch looking down on the valley and eat wild strawberries for dessert. I ran into a pine marten one day when it was in hot pursuit of a squirrel. it ran right over my feet and up the tree after it-then it stopped and looked at me. gorgeous animal and for its size fast. it used to be good for brookies in that stretch, not sure if it is now though.