Fly Tying
flytyman1

"Project Healing Waters Swap" - Deadline June 30!

Hmmm. I'm also wondering about this event for a great cause...When and where is this event taking place?

What kind of fish will they be fishing for? Is this event open to the public to help out on the day of?

I hate to do this but everyone does need verification that this is going to the cause you say. PLEASE Don't take offense to this but I have seen people try to take flies for a donation and then just keep them. Can we get any verification that this is legit. AGAIN!!!! please understand we all want to help the cause we just want to make sure it is going to where it is stated it will. I do remember you stating this "I got in touch with the Mid-Atlantic Director for Project Healing Waters. They are going to get back to me and give me the logistics and information I will need to set up the swap/fly and fly box donation. Then we can decide how many boxes of flies we are going to donate and the quantity of flies in each. My thoughts before talking to them might seem a little big, but I'm thinking 12 boxes of flies with at least 60 flies per box. The fly types I would be looking for from the swappers would be dry flies, wet flies, nymphs, terrestrials with maybe a few streamer thrown in also. Once I get the details straightened out with the tackle expert from Project Healing Waters I will post the swap details and we can then go from there. Project healing Water is having a Spruce Creek, PA event from July 31 to August 3, 2011." Just any verification will ease the members minds and get your more donations

OOPS! Just saw JohnP is doing a Hare's Ear Soft Hackle, so I'll do a Starling and Herl Soft Hackle instead of the Hare's Ear Soft Hackle.

I was going to offer to switch but you beat me to it. Thanks! :) I will also be doing a Prince nymph, assuming this all comes to pass. :dunno:

Can we send In mixed flies? I have a few dozen flies that i'll never use that people took the time and tied up. Would like to see them get used, then sitting around my house forming clutter...

I'm in. For starters I'll tie some cracklebacks, which I've strangely never tied for a swap. Considering the long deadline I'm sure I'll tie all kinds of other stuff too. I've got quite a few friends serving right now so this is a cause I can really get behind.

-Mike

are we limited to 12 flies? because I do have some sets I have set aside. Also I would be happy to donate in it's own box to fill the flies I want to send. I can go through it all and give you a list of what I will send tomorrow. Wait I just read the whole post. If it is cool I will send in it's own box. I have a Snake River Cutthroats Fly Fishing Federation box I would like to send packed with flies

You can send as many sets of flies that you want, there is no limit, the more we have the better it will be for the PHW veterans. Thanks for your support!

flytyman1

I'm confused about this fly swap after reading about my local project healing waters in NJ. It looks like the Vets tye up their own flies prior to the fishing event? Do they really need people to donate them flies??? Since this looks like great therapy for the vets don't want to take this time away from them.. How does this event work that we are all donating too??? Can you please give us details since you are asking already for 12 boxes of flies?

New Jersey Vets’ First

PHW Fishing Trip — Lyons VA Hospital

3 June 2007

After three months of fly tying and casting on lawns in front of a nursing home building at the Lyons Campus of the VA New Jersey Health Care System, on June 3, 2007, we finally went on a fishing trip. There were 12 fly fishers, four in wheelchairs, and 17volunteers, all from TU chapters in New Jersey.

We went to the state’s Pequest Hatchery about an hour away from the Lyons Veteran Hospital. There is a teaching pond where they stock 4 and 6 pound breeders. The bus arrived with the vets at 10 am. The volunteers had arrived earlier and had stung up the rods and tied on a fly. When the vets got off the bus, there was one guide for each fisherman and several others to net any caught fish.

The vets spread around the pond, and within ten minutes, there was much excitement as several vets caught big fish. It was a cool day, and everyone caught fish. The psychiatrist who accompanied the vets told me the vets had no concentration and would only fish for an hour, but with this much fun, nobody noticed that it was 12:30.

Box lunches for everyone from the hospital were consumed at the hatchery picnic ground. After lunch I made an announcement that if anyone wanted to catch more fish, the pond was still open. All 12 vets went back to the pond to fish. At 2:30 there was a bolt of lighting that ended our day. As soon as the vets got back into their bus, it began to rain, but it certainly did not spoil a great day for fly fishers and volunteers.

Bob Cohen

Can we send In mixed flies? I have a few dozen flies that i'll never use that people took the time and tied up. Would like to see them get used, then sitting around my house forming clutter...

Anything you send would be appreciated! Thanks for your support.

flytyman1

I'm confused about this fly swap after reading about my local project healing waters in NJ. It looks like the Vets tye up their own flies prior to the fishing event? Do they really need people to donate them flies??? Since this looks like great therapy for the vets don't want to take this time away from them.. How does this event work that we are all donating too??? Can you please give us details since you are asking already for 12 boxes of flies?

New Jersey Vets’ First

PHW Fishing Trip — Lyons VA Hospital

3 June 2007

After three months of fly tying and casting on lawns in front of a nursing home building at the Lyons Campus of the VA New Jersey Health Care System, on June 3, 2007, we finally went on a fishing trip. There were 12 fly fishers, four in wheelchairs, and 17volunteers, all from TU chapters in New Jersey.

We went to the state’s Pequest Hatchery about an hour away from the Lyons Veteran Hospital. There is a teaching pond where they stock 4 and 6 pound breeders. The bus arrived with the vets at 10 am. The volunteers had arrived earlier and had stung up the rods and tied on a fly. When the vets got off the bus, there was one guide for each fisherman and several others to net any caught fish.

The vets spread around the pond, and within ten minutes, there was much excitement as several vets caught big fish. It was a cool day, and everyone caught fish. The psychiatrist who accompanied the vets told me the vets had no concentration and would only fish for an hour, but with this much fun, nobody noticed that it was 12:30.

Box lunches for everyone from the hospital were consumed at the hatchery picnic ground. After lunch I made an announcement that if anyone wanted to catch more fish, the pond was still open. All 12 vets went back to the pond to fish. At 2:30 there was a bolt of lighting that ended our day. As soon as the vets got back into their bus, it began to rain, but it certainly did not spoil a great day for fly fishers and volunteers.

Bob Cohen

Some of the vets do tie their own flies but there are a lot of new handicapped vets just getting introduced to fly fishing through PHW that don't tie yet or are just learning how to tie. These flies are to give them a head start in fly fishing. Also there are some vets who can't tie and this would give them a selection to fish with without have to acquire flies somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated by PHW and myself. Thanks for asking, hope that clears things up for you a bit. The handicapped veteran's in this PHW event are most likely from the NY, PA and NJ area. At the event the vets will be fishing part of the time and getting instructions and demonsrations on how to tie flies. This is a 4 day event, I will be there to assist on the stream and also give a tying demonstation. This is a whole new experience for some of these vets. At present time there are 10 handicapped veterans going to this event. When talking to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Director they said it is alwys nice to have an extra set or two of flies to give to other PHW veterans who have had some medical setbacks and can't tie anymore! Help if you can, if not thats OK, I'm determined to make sure that at least the 10 veterans participating in this event at Spruce Creek PA get fly boxes full of flies, plus the 2 extra for handicapped veterans who have had medical setbacks. Any one with any questions or concerns can contact the PHW Mid-Atlantic Director whose name and email you can find on the "Project Healing Waters" website. Thank you!

flytyman1

Hmmm. I'm also wondering about this event for a great cause...When and where is this event taking place?

What kind of fish will they be fishing for? Is this event open to the public to help out on the day of?

The event is taking place at Spruce Creek PA from July 31 to Aug. 3. The event is not open to the public, and space is limited, but you can sign up to help through the website www.veterananglersny.org, if there is still need for volunteers. Only the PHW veterans will be fishing at this event as this is a private section of stream that these handicapped veterans were invited to fish on.

flytyman1