Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Olive & Starling Soft Hackle

Thanks Mike, Paul & Murray.

Paul - Your right. It is a crappy photo, but starling is a surprisingly beautiful feather in the right light. The feathers are black with a lovely green iridescence, when viewed at the right angle. I wish the photo did a better job of showing the thorax of these flies. They are made with three different colors of beaver dubbing. They have a mottled olive/brown/dark olive color. I've been playing around with multiple color combinations in hopes that they will be more appealing to the fish. Nature is seldom monotone.

Atherton would be proud. Great ties Ray. I haven't used beaver dubbing in a long time. Should give a nice little buoyancy to the fly to keep it near the surface.

Classic looking flies Ray. They are superb.

Interesting use of up and down eyes. Do you have a theory as to which you use when?

Dave - No, they were all supposed to be tyed on TUE hooks. I pulled them all from the same package of hooks and had not notice that some of them were TDE hooks until they were done. I just love the look of the TUE hooks.

Scud hooks or shrimp hooks should work just fine. I have seen some beautiful soft hackle flies tyed on curved hooks. They give the fly a nice look of "implied motion".